Associate Director of Regional Engagement, EPIC
8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
The University of California Riverside, Office of Technology Partnerships seeks an experienced business executive or entrepreneur with deep knowledge and strong connections to the California Inland Empire Region to support its regional technology commercialization and entrepreneurial support programs. The Associate Director for Regional Engagement will provide program management to the Entrepreneurial Proof of Concept (EPIC) Small Business Development Center, as well as training and coaching to small businesses and entrepreneurs in the greater Inland Empire. They will concentrate on enhancing the industry alliance program that further develops research and technology transfer opportunities, creates partnerships around services and support, and builds collaborations that are mutually beneficial to both regional small businesses and University research teams. The Associate Director will also serve as an instructor for the EPIC Startups for Innovators workshops, delivering training and mentorship focused on lean startup methodology and access to the SBIR/STTR program to teams in the region. The Associate Director will develop an extensive network of sponsors, partners and funders to support EPIC's regional program. This will include but will not be limited to corporations, entrepreneurs, venture capital funds, angel investors and government agencies. 1 year contract position with possibility of continuation.
Ability to break down complex concepts and tailor communication to industry partner unique needs and interests.
Skilled communicator; includes verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills. Ability to use discretion and respect confidentiality.
Ability to perform all commonly applicable functions in the Microsoft Suite. Advanced knowledge of organization's Industry Alliance's programs. Ability to teach others.
Advanced organizational and project management skills. Ability to lead a team, prioritize personal and team tasks and see projects through from inception to completion on schedule.
Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain working relationships with colleagues, faculty, donors, and industry partners, with an emphasis on collaboration, tact, diplomacy, flexibility, professionalism, and discretion.
Deep understanding of faculty and programmatic research interests within the University. Understanding of partnership agreements, patent law, licensing and commercialization.
Proven skills to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution. Demonstrates good problem-solving and analytical skills. Creatively addresses complex or new problems.
Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills to effectively lead and motivate others. Effectively manages multiple important priorities. Proven ability to support decisions with facts.
Demonstrated ability to identify, understand, analyze, and interpret complex written material, business contracts and financial data, and effectively communicate results of analyses.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview