Staff Research Associate 1
8AM - 5PM
$43,702 - $52,200
Seeking a highly motivated person to join our newly formed team at the University of California in Riverside to build and run a scientific research apiary. The person will join a group that focuses on research and teaching activities on insect pollinator health, especially the study of immunity, reproduction and ecology of bees (see www.ciber.science.uwa.edu.au for more details). The main aim of the group is to use state of the art research approaches in close collaboration with beekeepers to develop novel approaches to better manage pollinator health and thereby safeguard bees and their pollination services in the future.
- A minimum of 5 years maintaining commercial honeybee hives.
- Documented experiences with bee breeding related methods such as:
o Parasite identification and disease management
o Honey, pollen and wax production and processing
o Breeding of queens, including grafting and hive re-queening
o Drone (male) and worker breeding
o Artificial insemination (or willingness to learn)
o Hive health monitoring
o Record keeping of colonies and their performance
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with industry partners
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skills to work in a cross disciplinary, multicultural team
- Ability to independently lift 40 lbs above head
- Demonstrated familiarity with Microsoft Office
- A Bachelor's degree in the biological or environmental sciences.
- Familiarity with the use of bee breeding equipment such as artificial insemination (Schley), grafting tools, microscopes and dissection scopes.
- A basic understanding of agricultural economy, preferentially in relation to the beekeeping industry.
- Experience in organizing community outreach events.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview