Associate Director of Construction Management
Job Title: Associate Director of Construction Management
Job ID: 24089
Full/Part Time: Full time
Job Code: 3312
About the Position
The Associate Director of Construction Management is responsible for oversight of various construction projects and delivery methods for new construction and facilities related improvements/renovations on campus. The incumbent also participates in annual and strategic planning of campus construction projects. The incumbent reviews engineering, logistic and administrative aspects of construction documents, manages design, contracts for construction service and construction phases of projects and assists in the overall management of the campus construction program. The incumbent also oversees Project Managers and other staff. This position is required to interface with a variety of Colleges and Departments including Senior Administrators, Chancellor’s Office officials, as well as Federal, State and local agencies.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares and reviews detailed cost estimates and schedules; implements campus compliance policy and procedures; oversees the performance of construction contractors and professional consultants; and ensures work is completed according to construction plans, specifications, budget, and schedule; Responsible for coordinating and monitoring of Job Order Contracts (JOCs), CMSP and major capital projects.
- Establishes project standards and protocols; works with contractors and other professional consultants to ensure understanding of and compliance with all CSU and public works contracting laws and campus requirements.
- Assists in preparing project specifications for bidding and works in conjunction with Architects and planners to coordinate the bidding phase of projects. Coordinates with other campus personnel in the approval and management of construction contracts.
- Reviews engineering, architectural drawings and contract specifications for accuracy and completeness; evaluates/monitors project progress and ensures compliance with plans, material specifications, and schedule, tracks and controls construction cost against the project budget, process change orders, and participates in claims reviews.
- Responsible for all phases of project construction.Tracks the delivery of the construction products, oversees all construction meetings, provides direction in the implementation of the construction contract, and directs and monitors compliance with appropriate codes and regulations.Reviews and recommends approval on all contractor and consultant progress payment requests. Signs and approves field instructions, change proposals and change orders, as designated by the campus delegation of authority for capital projects
- Determines and oversees all required inspections and testing.Supervises construction inspectors and engineers and ensures the quality and timeliness of inspections and testing.Reviews and approves all project schedules submitted by the contractor to ensure minimum campus disruption and maximum cost compliance.
- Develops and oversees project close-out including agency approval, training, warranties, and certificate of completion, as-built records, and other requirements. Oversees post construction phases as required by SUAM including the commissioning process of newly installed systems and equipment.
- Conducts projects post completion assessments to determine if project objectives including initial financial considerations are met.
- Reviews contractor’s claims, negotiates settlements, and recommends action to the Director, Design & Construction Services.
- Conducts meetings with university representatives, project architects, engineers, general contractors, university officials, and state and federal agency representatives.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position may also require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position will be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24089.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.