Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions
McDaniel College, a private, selective college of the liberal arts and sciences in Westminster, Maryland seeks candidates for Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions. Reporting to President Roger Casey (biography) and serving as a member of his senior staff of five vice presidents, the successful candidate will lead efforts to strategically shape the student body and communicate the compelling story of the McDaniel community.
The Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions will provide strong leadership to a talented and experienced enrollment leadership team of five direct reports and mentor a hard-working enrollment division of 21 additional professionals, which includes the offices of admission, financial aid and communications and marketing. Finally, in a culture that places a premium on collaboration, this individual is responsible for partnering across campus on a variety of projects and priorities to meet institutional goals.
THE COLLEGE: McDaniel College enrolls 1,700 full-time undergraduates and 1,700 part-time graduate students. McDaniel’s diverse student-centered community reflects a commitment to excellence in the liberal arts and sciences and professional studies. Founded in 1867 as the first co-ed college just south of the Mason-Dixon line, McDaniel College changed names in 2002 from Western Maryland College to McDaniel College in honor of alumnus and professor emeritus William Roberts McDaniel, class of 1880.
One of the nation’s first independent, coeducational institutions of higher learning, McDaniel College’s evolution is characterized by academic excellence, extraordinary administrative and faculty dedication and resourcefulness, and increasing student selectivity and diversity. And yet, throughout its history, McDaniel College has remained committed to expanding accessibility and opportunity to first-generation college students.
McDaniel College believes that liberally educated men and women think and act critically, creatively, and humanely. Learn more about the McDaniel Experience that is defined by its vibrant residential community, expert faculty who love to teach, and its flexible, customized curriculum known as the McDaniel Plan. The McDaniel Plan is a customized and personal curriculum delivered in classes that average 15 students, which allows them the flexibility in choosing courses and even student-designed majors. With careful mentoring and attention to the individual, McDaniel is a member of Colleges That Change Lives.
McDaniel students’ learning reaches beyond McDaniel’s 160 acres to a European campus in Budapest, Hungary, and study abroad partnerships on virtually every continent. Additionally, students can participate in over 90 student organizations and 24 intercollegiate Division III sports. For more information about the College, see https://www.mcdaniel.edu/.
LOCATION: McDaniel College sits on a beautiful hilltop, overlooking the city of Westminster, Maryland, and offers an ideal location just a short distance from the nation’s capital and Baltimore. McDaniel's campus is an easy walk to downtown Westminster, offering local options of shops, restaurants, farmer's markets, and boutiques, as well as bistros, pubs and coffeehouses. Those who work at McDaniel can choose small town living, or can edge toward the overlapping region of the cities of Washington, D.C. or Baltimore, Maryland. It is the most educated, highest-income, and fourth largest combined statistical area in the United States.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates for this position should have at least ten years of professional experience in enrollment, specifically admissions, financial aid and marketing; with previous experience in private, higher education preferred. An appreciation and demonstrated understanding of the liberal arts mission of the institution is strongly desired. A bachelor’s degree is required, while an advanced degree is preferred.
The chosen candidate should demonstrate the following skills, abilities and understanding:
- Willingness to partner in a cross-functional way;
- Ability to build on, develop and implement data-informed recruitment and marketing plans and strategies through strategic marketing and admissions processes to influence prospective student decisions to enroll;
- Adeptness at conceiving innovative ideas and the ability to establish processes quickly and effectively;
- Analytical mindset to use data and cutting-edge technology (Slate) to inform decision-making and improve overall efficiency of enrollment and marketing processes;
- Ability to serve as a representative and spokesperson in a variety of settings and speak with a compelling voice to prospective students and families;
- A broad base of knowledge regarding all facets of external marketing and communications including print, web development, and contemporary social media tools;
- Ability to encourage, nurture and celebrate a talented and diverse staff and foster an environment of teamwork;
- Appreciation for an impassioned and connected alumni body;
- Proven use of research and technology in enrollment and marketing;
- Ability to plan strategically and analyze effectively with budgeting and financial acumen;
- A desire to closely partner with faculty to explore growth of academic programs and ways to assist in the recruitment of prospective students;
- Willingness to meet the needs of varying populations;
- Eagerness to serve as a counselor and educator to the campus community, senior staff and board of trustees; and
- Knowledge of innovative ways to further the university’s enrollment growth goals.
In addition, the new Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions should embody the following characteristics:
- Confident yet humble individual who can effectively earn and command respect while maintaining the highest standards of integrity and professional ethics;
- Action-oriented leader who can work independently, take initiative and approach challenges with energy and purpose;
- Committed colleague who thrives on collaborative efforts with a talented, dedicated community of strong professionals in order to enhance enrollment and retention through programming and new initiatives;
- Intelligent and compassionate professional who can operate in both a high tech and personal touch environment.
TO APPLY: Napier Executive Search (www.napiersearch.com) is assisting McDaniel College with this search for a Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions. For a confidential conversation, or if you wish to nominate someone for this position, please contact Mary Napier (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Laura Robinson (email@example.com ) If you wish to apply, please send a résumé, a detailed letter of interest with emphasis on what attracts you specifically to McDaniel College and contact information for three professional references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials before March 20. Expected start date will be Summer 2018. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential and notice will be given before references are contacted.
McDaniel College is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status or any other legally protected status.