Technical Production Manager
Job Title: Technical Production Manager
Job ID: 24461
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0840, Grade 3
Department: Hammer Theatre
About the Position
Working under the general direction of the Hammer Theatre Center Executive Managing Director, and in close coordination with Hammer employees, constituents, theatre clients and their designers, directors, managers and associated personnel, the Technical Production Manager (PM) requires limited supervision and works independently to achieve specified outcomes. The PM interfaces with on-campus and off-campus renters and users as well as University units that connect with the Hammer and is responsible for execution and processing the needs of events including pre-planning, resource needs and estimates (labor, outside equipment), timing requirements, load-in, rehearsal, sound check, performance, load-out and resource utilization reporting for event settlement. The PM hires, trains and oversees student assistants and other similar workers and must have working familiarity with electrical codes and requirements in both stage sound and lighting and knowledge of stage rigging practices and procedures. The PM also has responsibility for oversight of health and safety inspections and reporting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage incoming productions including advance communications and/or meetings, satisfying technical and production needs of incoming productions, and oversee production while on site through the load-out.
- Maintain and refine facility production schedule.
- Coordinate resources to meet the needs of artistic and technical personnel.
- Manage expense estimating and reporting of each production including rentals, purchases, in-house expenses and personnel including union labor.
- Manage Associate Production Manager and perform duties related to event production as needed with, or in lieu of, Associate Production Manager.
- Recruit and train stage workers from SJSU student population and outlying community; develop a pool of qualified stage workers for event needs.
- Schedule stage workers in appropriate numbers and skill sets to satisfy production needs and approve payroll as appropriate.
- Coordinate with IATSE Local 134 when union labor is required; ensure labor is scheduled according to union rules and review/approve payroll invoices.
- Coordinate with front-of-house patron services and box office operation to ensure smooth operations.
- Provide team support for a safe and collaborative working environment.
- Stage lighting, sound, rigging, design, execution and maintenance with a priority on health and safety.
- Responsible for health and safety oversight and compliance for the facility.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24461.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.