Vice President of Academic Affairs
Georgia Highlands College (GHC), a state college in the University System of Georgia, with six locations in counties in close proximity to Atlanta, serving roughly six thousand students, announces a search for an innovative and high energy leader to serve as our Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA). As GHC strives to increase enrollment and expand course offerings supportive of our communities, we seek a VPAA with a commitment to community outreach and partnerships. Reporting directly to the President, the VPAA serves on the Executive Leadership Team and the Cabinet.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and dynamic institution. As the recipient of the 2017 USG Chancellor’s Customer Service Excellence Award for Institution and President of the year, our focus is on student access and success as well as employee professional development and wellness.
The ideal candidate will have an open and inclusive leadership style with demonstrated team-building talent and skills in academic program planning, including the development of distance education programs and alternatives for non-traditional students.
• Doctoral degree
• Prefer two – five years of experience in a senior academic leadership position at the dean or VP level
which includes experience in accreditation, program review, curriculum design, and assessment.
• Experience implementing innovative or entrepreneurial programming.
• Advances academic policy through the development of the academic master plan; oversees the development, quality and operation of all academic programs and services
• Supervises and collaborates with the college’s academic deans to develop academic programs and courses
• Directs the college’s academic programs, including the development of curricula and the implementation, coordination, and assessment of student learning outcomes
• Oversees a comprehensive program of faculty development, including the performance evaluation of full- and part-time faculty
• Oversees the operations of all campuses/sites, with emphasis upon providing equitable educational and service opportunities for students, faculty and administrators at all locations
• Reviews and recommends new academic programs to the President; reviews and approves all new courses and curriculum revisions
• Serves on a variety of committees, groups, boards, and task forces
• Supervises college Library, Advising and Testing operations
• Supervises the academic affairs process of accreditation
• Provides support and guidance for accreditation of Health Sciences programs.
• Provides leadership of programs intended to enhance orientation, retention and graduation rates
• Develops, recommends and manages annual budgets; reviews expenditures; provides budget analysis and recommendations to other Vice Presidents and to the President for periodic, routine review
• Recommends faculty employment actions to the President, including appointments, reappointments, tenure and promotions; supervises pre- and post-tenure review processes
• Facilitates an integrated approach to the curriculum by fostering communication among faculty, administration, the Office of the Registrar, campus deans, and program directors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of postsecondary education
• Knowledge of program assessment and strategic planning strategies
• Knowledge of budget development and management principles
• Knowledge of classroom practices, teaching methodologies, assessment systems, and educational technology
• Knowledge of higher education and SACSCOC policies and procedures
• Skilled in the delegation of responsibility and authority
• Skill to work cooperatively with a local board, legislators, community leaders, students, faculty and staff
• Ability to make timely decisions
• Skilled in the operation of computers and job-related software programs
• Skilled in interpersonal relations and dealing with the public
• Skilled in oral and written communication
Position open until March 23, 2018.