Assistant Athletic Trainer
Position Title: Assistant Athletic Trainer
Position Number: 007015
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Posting Number: 0401183
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Paraprofessional
Hiring Range: $33,000 - $41,000
Minimum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Maximum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Overall Position Competency: EHRA
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The primary purpose of the Department of Athletics is to facilitate the university's objective to create an environment whereby student-athletes are both progressing academically in a degree program leading towards graduation and successfully competing athletically against the highest level of competition. Each student-athlete is viewed as an individual whose general health, fitness and emotional development are of significant value. The Athletics Department takes pride in its compatibility with the mission of the university and recognizes the opportunity to give Fayetteville State University recognition on the state, regional and national levels.
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Assistant Athletic Trainer is a key member of the institution's NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics staff and reports directly to the Head Athletic Trainer. The primary function of the Assistant Athletic Trainer is to assist with the supervision and coordination of the University's overall sports medicine program. This is a 12-month position: August through June.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include but not limited to injury prevention, evaluation, management, and treatment of athletic injuries, short-term and long-term rehabilitation of athletic injuries, education and counseling of student-athletes, and athletics related health care administration in consultation with and under the supervision of the Head Athletic Trainer, Team Physician(s) and other qualified medical personnel.
The general details inherent to the principle functions of the position are as follows:
1. Assist with the organization and administration of the NCAA drug testing program and the athletic department's substance abuse education and testing program;
2. Work in conjunction with the strength and conditioning staff with regard to the strength, conditioning, and flexibility and nutritional issues of student-athletes supplements;
3. Maintain a good working relationship with the athletics facilities manager, physical plant and grounds department regarding the safety of practice and competition surfaces and general field/court conditions;
4. Assist with the establishment and enforcement of codes of conduct and rules of use for the athletic training facilities and equipment.
5. Share in the responsibility of athletic training room maintenance and upkeep;
6. Represent the Fayetteville State University and the Sports Medicine Department at University, conference, and/or national meetings as required or requested;
7. Other duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer
8. This job requires travel nights and weekends. Athletic events schedule will require the individual to work frequent weekends and evenings and occasional holidays.
The conduct of the Assistant Athletic Trainer must be in accordance with the Fayetteville State University Code of Conduct as well as the Constitution and Bylaws of the NCAA and member conferences/associations. S/he must abide by all applicable university policies, rules and regulations.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
1. BS Degree in Athletic Training or related field and three (3) years of directly related experience is required. Masters in an appropriate area of specialization and one (1) year of directly related professional experience is preferred.
2. National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification (NATABOC) certification is required;
3. Must possess or be eligible for Athletic Training Licensure in the State of North Carolina.
4. First Aid/CPR certification is required. Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist® (CSCS®) preferred.
5. Possess a current valid driver's license; availability for frequent regional travel.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
Applicants are expected to have exemplary medical knowledge with regard to sports medicine as well as excellent communicative abilities to convey that knowledge to appropriate personnel. Applicants should have confidence in their abilities as a certified athletic trainer. Applicants should be able to handle situations in a professional manner and have empathy for their patients.
1. Demonstrate strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate to student-athletes and parents.
2. Demonstrate strong leadership, solid planning and organizational abilities, and the ability to multi-task and problem solve.
3. Candidate should be highly motivated with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and the ability to work in a team oriented environment with diverse students, faculty, staff, alumni, the public, and the media.
5. Proficient computer literacy skills (familiarity with Microsoft Office and other applications preferred).
6. Commitment to, and support of, a diverse community.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.