Director of Library Services
Position Title: Director of Library Services
Position Number: 001404
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Library Services
Posting Number: 0401200
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Exec, Admin, Managerial
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Maximum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Overall Position Competency: Flat Rate
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The mission of the Charles Waddell Chesnutt Library is to support the University in its educational, research and cultural endeavors through careful selection, acquisition, organization, and interpretation of information resources. In addition, the Chesnutt Library assumes its special role as a major cultural resource for the community and the region at large.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The role of the Director of Library Services is to provide effective administration and leadership for the academic library function that support the teaching, research and learning goals of the university. The Director is responsible for ensuring and evaluating the implementation of existing and emerging technologies that improve the delivery of library services, operations and resources. The director ensures that the library's strategic plan supports the goals of the university and is implemented and revised as required.
The director evaluates the collections, manages the budget, supervises appropriate staff and ensures that high quality programs and services are available. In addition, he/she will partner with faculty, staff, student representatives and other administrative officials in developing new library programming. The director will lead the charge to provide effective information literacy programming for both students and faculty.
Description of Work Continued:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides strategic leadership for all functions of the library in collaboration with other academic units, faculty, staff, and students and in support of the FSU strategic plan.
• Serves as the chief administrator and primary advocate for the Chesnutt Library;
• Guides planning and implementation of library policies;
• Provides information and reports as required by FSU, academic Affairs, UNC General Administration and other agencies on the status of the library;
• Establish a process of ongoing review, assessment and continuous improvement of library programs, resources and services.
• Ensures that the library has appropriate staff to carryout its functions and provides appropriate training and/or opportunities for the staff.
• Manages the budget and ensures effective and efficient use of fiscal resources.
• Ensures that information, digital, and technology resources of the Chesnutt Library remain up-to-date and meet the needs of 21st century users.
• Creates an active learning environment that encourages faculty and students to utilize the library as a Learning Community.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program.
Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in an academic library with at least two years being in a supervisory role
Knowledge skills and abilities:
• Demonstrate organizational and academic leadership abilities;
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends in academic librarianship and in higher education;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with library staff, faculty, students, and administrators;
• Excellent communication, written interpersonal skills.
• Familiar with best practices associated with the success of libraries that create engaged learning environments for students.
• Demonstrated innovation and creativity in library leadership roles
• Knowledgeable of program assessment for libraries.
Professional doctorate from an accredited program
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit all applications and materials prior to the last week of January 2018 as the search committee will begin review of qualified candidates at this time.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently possess a master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program?
- * How man years of progressively responsible experience do you possess in an academic library setting?
- Less than 5 years
- 5 - 10 years
- More than 10 years
- * How many years of supervisory experience do you currently possess?
- Less than 2 years
- 2 - 5 years
- More than 5 years
- * Have you earned a Doctorate from an accredited institution?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.