Full-time Public Safety Officer
Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position is responsible for enforcing state and local laws as well as campus regulations and for protecting life and property for Gordon State College.
• Patrols to detect and deter crime and to offer assistance when needed.
• Enforces parking regulations; issues citations.
• Investigates suspicious activities or persons.
• Checks the security of buildings.
• Prepares required reports.
• Investigates traffic accidents and criminal or non-criminal incidents.
• Makes arrests of individuals who have committed crimes.
• Testifies in court as required.
• Provides assistance to motorists.
• Responds to emergency incidents.
• Provides security and traffic enforcement at special events.
• Performs related duties.
This position is subject to pre-employment, random and post-accident drug testing
A copy of your unofficial POST Certification must be submitted with your online application.
You can locate your POST records at: http://www.gapost.org/officer_records.html
• Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one year.
• Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
• Employment is contingent upon psychological screening.
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, running, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
• The work is typically performed in buildings and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and hazardous or dangerous situations. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc. as well as other specialized law enforcement equipment.