Dean – School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering
DIVISION: The School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering
RESPONSIBILITIES: Westchester Community College is more than just Westchester County’s largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors. Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. There are approximately 13,000 full- and part-time college credit students. Continuing education students bring the total number served by the college each semester to more than 24,000.
The School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering houses the following academic departments: Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, Engineering Science & Tech., Mathematics, and Computer Science.
Reporting to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean will serve as the administrative head of the respective area. S/he will plan and develop the instructional objectives for the division. S/he will also lead department chairs, curriculum chairs, and faculty in the development, implementation and evaluation of new and existing curricula. Responsibilities include:
- Functioning as the first line administrator with faculty and staff in planning, developing, implementing and evaluating curricular activities and services of the division;
- Supervising staff in support positions within the division, evaluating staff performance, and counseling staff, as appropriate;
- Analyzing the effectiveness of course scheduling, teaching and learning to support student success in divisional courses and programs, and recommends changes, as needed;
- Overseeing the administration of all grants in the division, including Perkins, GAP, Job-linkage, and others; responsible for the adherence to the grant/proposal outcomes;
- Evaluating the performance of full-time faculty in preparation for reappointment, tenure and promotion as well as engages in classroom observations;
- Hiring, supervising, and evaluating adjunct faculty;
- Serving on the Academic Leadership Council and other appropriate college committees;
- Monitoring compliance with the collective bargaining agreements;
- Providing leadership and vision in the expansion and development of academic programs to ensure continual growth of the unit;
- Monitoring and overseeing the development of articulation agreements between divisional programs and appropriate 4 year institutions;
- Performing additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Chief Academic Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a minimum of a Master’s Degree and seven years of combined experience in planning and development coordination of educational programs, personnel administration, or teaching experience, including three years in an administrative supervisory position. A Ph.D., Ed.D., or certificate confirming A.B.D is strongly preferred. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are also required.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $102,296 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. Send resumes, cover letters, references and copies of transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Dean – School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
Please indicate "CODE:IHE"
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority will be given to applications received by March 9, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.