Office of Student Affairs
The West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) is seeking Psychologist to provide mental health services for students at WVSOM. This position requires the implementation of individual and group psychotherapy as well as psychological assessment for mental health concerns, included but not limited to depression, anxiety, learning disability, and ADHD. This position works on a flexible schedule to accommodate students’ class, exam and rotation commitments and to address mental health crises in a timely manner. This position reports to the Director of Student Affairs.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide individual psychological assessments and consultations with students under both voluntary and mandatory attendance conditions. Reach out to students demonstrating academic difficulty and offer assistance. Help students with disabilities (e.g., ADHD, learning disabilities) make arrangements to apply for academic accommodations in accordance with WVSOM policy. Follow up with students as needed and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Provide mental health counseling for students. Provide confidential individual counseling for students with acute stress and other personal issues that interfere with academic success. Refer students with acute mental health and/or substance abuse problems and/or needs for psychiatric consultations to appropriate services off campus. Maintain eligibility for licensure as a professional mental health provider in West Virginia. Maintain appropriate documentation.
- Create, develop and implement educational and intervention programs for groups of students, faculty and staff.
- Respond to mental health emergencies and address mental health crises in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Participate in department and institutional committees and groups who develop programs, responses and interventions to students with academic or behavioral needs.
- Participate in weekend availability call list.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Earned master’s degree in psychology with a minimum of three years’ experience in providing psychological support to adult populations or an earned doctoral degree in psychology. Supervised, licensed or license eligible in WV. Experience in the use, administration, interpretation and documentation of psychological tests is required. Experience in counseling college and graduate student populations with mental health and academic issues preferred.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to establish rapport and therapeutic relationship with adult medical students.
- Experience with working with individuals with depression, anxiety, testing and learning problems, substance use disorders, eating disorders, relationship difficulties and other conditions which are present in the medical student population.
- Skills with psychological assessment tools and procedures.
- Report writing for psychological and educational evaluations.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with team of faculty and staff in the best interests of our students.
- Familiarity with DSM-5 criteria for mental disorders and experience in referral and triage to psychiatric services as needed.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to present to large groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, including rurality.
This is a full-time non-classified position with full state benefits and is exempt from FLSA provisions regarding overtime. Base salary is $60,000 though commensurate with education and experience. As a non-classified employee, this person will serve at the will and pleasure of the President of WVSOM.
Not all activities of this position occur within the confines of an 8:00-4:30 schedule and this position will require regular evening and weekend scheduling. Some travel including overnight travel will be required.
This position has been designated as Essential. This means that when WVSOM is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover and continue operations at WVSOM.
Candidates should apply for this position online at http://www.wvsom.edu/employment.
Applications are considered confidential and references are not contacted until later in the search process. The search committee will begin its review of applications upon receipt and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
Position is open until filled. Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, reference and background checks. All applications are considered confidential.
WVSOM is a free-standing medical school nestled in the Allegheny Mountains. We are located in "America's Coolest Small Town" (Budget Magazine 2011) just minutes from the famed Greenbrier® Resort, a Five Diamond hotel and spa and host of the PGA’s annual Greenbrier Classic. WVSOM brings over 40 years of history serving the health and wellness needs of the Greenbrier Valley, the state of West Virginia and beyond. The school’s small-town, rural community cherishes its connection with the college and our students are actively engaged in service outreach and support for over 40 non-profit organizations in this area. Additionally, WVSOM faculty and staff enjoy a vibrant cultural community which features one of only four operating Carnegie Halls in the world, as well as the state professional theatre of West Virginia. Throughout the year, employees can enjoy live plays and musicals, a broad representation of visual artists, an annual chocolate festival, a flourishing literary series, and live music events within a historic preservation area featuring 19th century architecture, unique shops and dining, and limitless outdoor recreation. This one-of-a-kind environment brings together farmers and artists, lumbermen and world-renowned musicians, holistic physicians and thrill-seeking whitewater rafters in a diverse melting pot that is truly unique!
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing diversity among its faculty and staff.