Director of Web Design
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany's Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) is seeking an experienced Director of Web Design to lead and direct the planning, development, and maintenance of the web environment in cooperation with Information Technology Services (ITS). In addition, the individual in this position will be responsible for the exploration, implementation, testing and maintenance of new solutions for the University web to meet evolving business needs; supervise web services staff and direct the work of staff that design, develop, and test solutions enabling content management via the web. The Director will provide advice, insight and recommendations to University administration on future concepts, development and direction of web services.
The Director will need to have senior level experience in the professional services and collaboration needed in a decentralized web environment, the technologies supporting the University's website, and operational management of personnel being used to create and maintain content across the digital footprint of the University.
- Develop specific websites to support the University's targeted initiatives
- Develop insights into the data collected regarding the use of the University's web and other digital properties
- Provide an ongoing assessment of evolving technical developments, standards, and best practices on the web and implement them as directed
- Translate visual design, wire frames and prototypes into functional Drupal 8 pages while ensuring adequate web page speed, search engine optimization (SEO) and cross-browser compatibility
- Interact with personnel throughout the University to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of design and content on websites
- Evaluate, plan and implement new systems and processes for the production and distribution of content for the university's digital presence
- Understand and adhere to accessibility WCAG 2.1 guidelines
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices while applying them to Drupal templates
- Ability to research, evaluate and recommend development paths for the University's Drupal 8 content management system
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Oversee production and implementation
- Create and maintain documentation
- Test and build applications and systems for the web
- Recommend and implement performance improvements
- Communicate with system personnel or web site hosting agencies to address hardware or software issues affecting web sites
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (Web Design / Development, Graphic Design, Computer Science, IT, Information Science or related coursework) from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized organization
- Five or more years of documented web development, management experience and user experience/web information architecture
- Three years or more experience developing and working on enterprise-level implementation of the Drupal Content Management system. A proficiency in the Drupal 8 version of the system is preferred.
- Expert knowledge of PHP, HTML, XHTML, XML, and CSS coding methods and standards
- Demonstrated ability to train others on the use of CMS technology. Must be willing and able to work and troubleshoot with others on a daily basis.
- Experience with social media and integrating it with an overall web strategy
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with others
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Understanding of how other campus systems interact with the University's CMSs. Must be able to recommend technologies and systems to integrate and display content from other campus systems within the Drupal CMS.
- Ability to meet deadlines and keep projects on schedule
- Demonstrated strength in identifying system solutions for evolving business requirements
- Ability to think strategically about integrating solutions into a CMS
- Applicants must address in their applications their abilities to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Master's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Experience in higher education
- Drupal 8 CMS Experience
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Staff Associate, SL-5
Start date: As soon as possible
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=94112
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for three references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: March 6, 2018.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/b7g4d9fb2hf6v6wp