Instructor, Kinesiology & Athletics/Head Men's Basketball Coach
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Kinesiology & Athletics/Head Men’s Basketball Coach for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Kinesiology & Athletics/Head Men's Basketball Coach
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 2FPE18
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 – $88,687
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Health Sciences, P.E. and Athletics
1. Ability to teach a wide variety of individual and team activities including conditioning, weight training/fitness assessments, aerobics, aquatics, and self-defense/martial arts at the college level;
2. Experience in coaching Men’s Basketball as a head coach at the varsity high school level or as a head/assistant basketball coach at the college level. Coaching Basketball team is a requirement of this position;
3. Work within the framework and rules established by the State CCCAA and the college;
4. Recruit area athletes;
5. Teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance education and/or off-campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment;
6. Provide instruction in accordance with established Chabot College approved curriculum and course outlines for kinesiology and athletics;
7. Ability to develop, maintain and evaluate curriculum;
8. Ability to obtain a Class B driver’s license;
9. Promote the men’s basketball program at Chabot College, and participate in athletic department public relations and fundraising projects;
10. Budget and supervise the distribution of supplies;
11. Familiarity and experience with the use of technology in the classroom, including but not limited to Blackboard and/or Canvas and its application in a learning environment;
12. Willingness to participate in professional development activities, student and other educational activities, which may include, but are not limited to, committee membership, development of curriculum and new instructional approaches, staff meetings and community outreach in accordance with the college policy;
13. Interact with faculty and staff in areas of instruction and participate in the development of instructional methods, technology, and materials;
14. Prepare and grade class assignments and evaluations;
15. Post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy;
16. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
17. Ability to interact successfully with others;
18. Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s degree in kinesiology, physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education
Bachelors’ Degree in any of the above
Master’s Degree in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration or physical therapy
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F61P
Open Date 02/15/2018
Close Date 03/16/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Describe your experience in coaching men’s basketball at the high school or college level. Give an example of what you consider to be a successful season. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Recount your experience in at least one of the four physical education activity areas listed under desirable qualifications (weight training/fitness assessments, individual or team sports, aerobics/dance, aquatics, and self-defense/martial arts). Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Give examples of how you effectively communicate with students, the community, the press, faculty & staff. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
What strategies would you use to actively recruit student-athletes to participate in our program? Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER