Technology Support Specialist
Requisition # 2018-8489
Department Human Resources
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Office of Human Resources at Princeton University is seeking a Technology Support Specialist to join the HRIS team. The person in this position will report to the Technology Support Analyst and provide administration, maintenance and support of desktop computing for staff in the Office of Human Resources. The individual will provide the day-to-day, hands on technical support to diagnose, troubleshoot, and repair hardware and software issues. Support includes usage of technologies in conference rooms and assisting the department telephone coordinator with various telephone technologies. Maintain a high level of professionalism in the office and ensure a high level of security around sensitive and confidential information.
- On a daily basis respond to computing questions and issues raised by HR staff members, and issues assigned to HR's support specialist by OIT partners through the Service Management application (SN@P).
- Purchase, configure, and setup computers, laptops, printers, mobile devices and other miscellaneous hardware including AV equipment. Complete all related purchasing through the University's marketplace, following departmental guidelines. Track purchases for reconciliation with financial reports and planned budget projections and allocations.
- Purchase and install nonstandard software as needed, tracking license renewal or upgrade information. Purchase all computing support supplies; toner, USB flash drives, headsets, surge protectors, etc…
- Ensure that staff members are setup and given proper access to resources such as printers, shared network drives and listservs.
- Support remote access needs to staff, contractors, departmental computer users, and routinely review workstation backup reports.
- Maintain equipment replacement schedules and roadmaps in alignment with OIT recommendations and guidelines. Keep the departmental equipment inventory database up to date as equipment is purchased or replaced. Follow University procedures and policies to surplus expired or nonfunctioning equipment.
- Create or enhance technical documentation and instructional guides for end users, educate and train staff on proper computing techniques.
- Provide technical support for HR's department web site currently on the Roxen platform.
- Learn and become familiar with OIT's Drupal system in preparation of the migration from Roxen to Drupal. Provide technical support of HR's web site during and after migration to Drupal.
- Partner with the Office if Information Technology and University Services to maintain HR Kiosks in various buildings on campus.
- Respond to and communicate progress and status of various IT outages and issues that may affect HR staff members or the work/office space.
- Escalate issues when necessary to the correct OIT support services unit. Use the Service Management application (SN@P) to request technical support from OIT departments or to report outages and issues.
- Attend monthly SCAD/DCS meetings and relevant training classes offered. The technology support specialist will keep abreast of new technologies as it pertains to the Office of Human Resources, and maintain a collaborative working relationship with the SCAD/DCS community and units in the Office of Information Technology.
- 3-5 years related experience in the area of end user desktop support and customer service in an office setting.
- 3-5 years' experience in the administration, maintenance and support of Windows operating systems (Win 7 - 10), support of various MS Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and experience with computing hardware including desktops, laptops, printers, mobile devices, copiers, and general office equipment.
- Excellent customer service attitude; strong organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills, able to communicate effectively, written and verbal, with a broad range of people.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot various computing issues.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and able to work independently while managing multiple tasks and priorities.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., twist, bend and work in awkward positions.
- Professional experience in a University setting
- Experience supporting Mac OS
- Experience maintaining MS SharePoint web sites
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.