Special Counsel to the President/Labor Designee (Administrator)
The Special Counsel to the President/Labor Designee reports directly to the President and provides legal advice on a broad array of issues, including, but not limited to: litigation, employment and labor law, compliance and contractual agreements, governance, fundraising, and immigration. The Special Counsel serves as hearing officer of disciplinary and grievance proceedings and represents the College at higher levels of the disciplinary and grievance processes. The Special Counsel also serves as the College's liaison to the University's Office of Legal Affairs as well as the campus Ethics Officer and Records Access Officer. The Special Counsel provides legal support to the Vice Presidents, Senior Administrators, Deans, Department Chairpersons and Directors of College programs, units and College faculty, and the Director of Hunter College Campus Schools. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for the administration and interpretation of the University Bylaws, University and College policies and procedures, College governance charter, and various collective bargaining agreements.
- Handles employee grievances and disciplinary proceedings as well as student disciplinary appeals; advocates the College's position at appeal hearings.
- Works with attorneys in CUNY's Office of the General Counsel and Office of Human Resources Management and acts as the College's representative at arbitration.
- Investigates complaints filed from outside agencies; provides records, files, and documents required at legal inquiries and proceedings; prepares or reviews contracts and affiliation agreements entered into by the College; assists in proceedings before federal and state courts and administrative agencies; and ensures College compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with promotional and tenure standards and multiple position policy promulgated by the City University of New York.
- Provides ongoing legal counsel and advice to College staff in areas related to contract and commercial matters involving College and College-affiliated entities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the President.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. Additional qualifications are defined below by the College.
Candidates must have a JD, be admitted to the N.Y. State Bar, and have at least eight years of related experience. The successful candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and organizational skills as well as excellent judgment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is an Executive Compensation Plan position. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
The committee will review complete applications on March 6, 2018. The search will continue until an appropriate candidate is found.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
Job Title: Special Counsel to the President/Labor Designee (Administrator)
Job ID: 18293
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.