Software Engineer 1
About University of Massachusetts Amherst:
University of Massachusetts Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The University’s College of Information and Computer Sciences (CICS) is nationally recognized for its research activities, and has one of the highest ranked and most competitive graduate research programs in the nation. Its faculty, which includes 12 ACM Fellows and 8 AAAI Fellows, is distinguished by a unique culture of collaboration that enhances both research and teaching. The Center for Data Science, housed within CICS, is a leading interdisciplinary hub for research, education and industry collaboration in data science. At the Center’s launch in April 2015, the University announced a projected investment of $100M, with plans to hire 40 additional faculty over the coming decade to augment the over 150 data science-related faculty in the Five Colleges.
The College of Information and Computer Sciences is looking for a Software Engineer 1 for the Information Extraction and Synthesis Lab (IESL).
Under the general direction of the PI, the Software Engineer 1 is responsible for the design, installation and maintenance of systems software, utilities and enhancements to support the research developments in the Information Extraction and Synthesis Lab (IESL). This is a temporary, grant-funded position; continuation beyond the first 2 years is contingent on funding.
- Design, implement and maintain advanced information retrieval systems, text extraction systems and machine learning systems and database systems.
- Code, debug, and document programs to implement software system capabilities.
- Assist in experimental evaluation of new techniques relevant to the above systems
- Interact with industrial partners to facilitate technology transfer
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and two years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and training.
- Programming skills in JAVA, preferably honed in a professional environment.
- Ability to program using UNIX, Network and shell scripts.
- Demonstrated experience with building software systems
- Experience in one or more of the following is preferred: information retrieval, natural language processing, text and information extraction processing, and database systems.
Professional Staff Salary Administration Program position LEVEL 26 associated with a 27.
On Campus applicants are defined as Amherst campus, non-student employees.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on January 8, 2018 and may continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.