CLASS GIVING ASST. DIRECTOR 5TH & 10TH REUNIONS
Duties: Established in 1927, The Penn Fund, Penn's undergraduate annual giving fund, serves as the primary philanthropic vehicle for Penn's 100,000+ strong community of undergraduate alumni and students. Gifts to The Penn Fund benefit the University's highest undergraduate priorities through unrestricted support and individual endowed scholarships.
The Penn Fund organization includes a team of class giving directors who work in partnership with the Young Alumni (yPenn) team, volunteers and other development colleagues to achieve class fundraising goals with the greatest emphasis on the two classes under their management celebrating a quinquennial reunion. Reporting to the Director of Class Giving and Reunion Programs, the position of Class Giving Director (CGD) must be able to ask for young alumni-level leadership level gifts on personal visits and support their respective young alumni volunteers, as these individuals are often critical to the success of our fundraising goals. Likewise, it is expected that the CDG is a true collegial partner within the complex framework of the Development and Alumni Relations staffing structure at the University of Pennsylvania. The CGD for the 5th and 10th reunion will complete 80 visits per year including some West Coast travel and regionally as appropriate. These classes generally utilize technology at a high level, and sometimes meets during non-traditional hours.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Class Giving Director inspires young alumni to support their alma mater through philanthropy and volunteerism. Under the general direction of the Director of Class Giving & Reunion Programs and collaboration with the Young Alumni yPenn team, responsibilities for the class giving director position fall primarily into the three categories:
o front-line fundraising through personal visits, phone and email;
o volunteer management;
o and internal project management.
The position is responsible for the solicitation of top Penn Fund prospects in the 5th and 10th reunion as well as work with six additional classes to support the class's Penn Fund giving dollars and donors. Additionally, create and manage highly motivated gift committees to solicit classmates at the leadership level and inspire loyal giving. Partner with prospect managers to solicit assigned alumni for Penn Fund and scholarship gifts. Work alongside the Young Alumni Team to create a culture of philanthropy, especially at the leadership level, to Penn's annual fund. Lastly, the position will also require management of data and analysis to identify top prospects and volunteers with a keen attention to detail.
o Front-line fundraising duties include contacting prospective donors via personal visits, telephone and email and to solicit at least 500 prospects in person, via email or phone, or through a volunteer.
* 250 or more solicitations at the Benjamin Franklin Society leadership level
* Conduct no less than 80 personal visits per year, with special emphasis on solicitation of BFS prospects and endowed scholarship solicitations.
Solicitation management for non-reunion classes
o Volunteer management duties include, recruiting, training and managing the activity of the 5th through 11th reunion with high emphasis on the 5th and 10th gift committee volunteers, Paramount to this position is the ability to motivate volunteers and support their efforts.
* Work with colleagues and volunteers on assigning a minimum of 200 peer reunion prospects for volunteer solicitations.
* Communicate regularly with individual volunteers and committees, sharing progress to goals, strategies for solicitation, and information regarding reunion giving priorities.
* Motivate key volunteers across all classes to engage in class and regional young alumni fundraising events.
o Internal Project management duties include, analysis of data and reports, submission of expenses, as well as accurately and timely database updates. The ideal candidate must display strong organizational and project management abilities.
* Use of excel extensively, utilize the internal database and Qlikview query.
* Use and train volunteers to use the Mobile Volunteer Portal.
* Through the University's expense system, submit expense reports in a timely manner.
Additionally qualities and duties of the role include:
* The ability to successfully finesse Penn's relationship hierarchy and must demonstrate an ability to evaluate class-giving patterns, identify prospective donors, and assess progress towards goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and adept with utilizing data and analysis tools, and will bring an analytical viewpoint to the position.
* Internal responsibilities include frequent collaboration with The Penn Fund Young Alumni Team and Marketing and Donor Participation Team, as well as, The Office of Alumni Relations, Central Major Gifts Team, and School and Center based fundraising staff.
* Participation is expected at events such as the Penn Reunion Leadership Conference (PRLC), Alumni Weekend, Homecoming, volunteer appreciation events, regional pre-reunion events, regional young alumni events, campus yPenn events, and other events where our alumni are able to be engaged and/or the culture of young alumni philanthropy is being built.
Qualifications: BA/BS from an accredited 4-year college or university required. Three to five years relevant work experience with at least 2 years experience in fundraising/gift solicitation or transferrable skil, preferably in higher education is preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as solid interpersonal skills are required. Initiative, enthusiasm, collegiality, and flexibility are highly desirable traits. Must uphold a commitment to the organizational values of Penn Development and Alumni Relations. Must possess a valid driver's license and be willing to travel as part of duties. Evening and weekend work will be required occasionally. Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less.
Reference Number: 90-27975
Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Penn Fund
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: F-Development/Fundraising/Marketing