Assistant Professor of Instruction – Radio Broadcast Communications and Radio Station Advisor
Columbia College Chicago is seeking a teacher/scholar with expertise in radio broadcast communications and Radio Station management within the Communication Department, for an Assistant Professor of Instruction appointment beginning the 2018 – 2019 academic year, effective August 16, 2018.
The Communication Department’s programs develop job-ready professionals across the media landscape, through programs in Advertising, Communication, Journalism, Photojournalism, Public Relations, Social Media and Digital Strategy, and Radio. At the heart of the Radio program is Columbia College Chicago’s student-managed radio station, WCRX/88.1 FM and wcrxfm.com, that operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week, year-round.
We seek to employ a faculty member engaged with professional/instructional development, to keep the Radio program and radio station's pedagogical focus current, and continuously engage in curricular development tied to the evolving landscape of station programming and the landscape of contemporary radio broadcasting by responding to regional and global audiences and emerging technologies, production and distribution methods. This position reports directly to the Chair of the Communication Department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Assistant Professor of Instruction is responsible for teaching 2 classes each semester, including the Radio capstone practicum at WCRX/88.1 FM, managing the daily operations of the student-run radio station, student mentoring, supervising and training student workers, maintaining daily operation of radio equipment, and participating in departmental activities.
- This position is also responsible for on-air and streaming content of the radio station that includes news, sports, music and public service programming.
- In addition, responsibilities include establishing and maintaining program content standards, budget management, development of new and original on-air programming, managing the station’s various social media venues, identifying and creating promotional opportunities, and implementing new and emerging media to enhance the radio station’s Internet and community presence.
- The ideal candidate will have extensive professional experience in the radio/communication industry and have earned at least a Master’s Degree (a PhD is a plus) and hands-on experience managing the administrative and business functions of a radio station.
- This person will be involved in developing and refining curriculum to reflect best practices and capitalize on innovations in society and our fields and along with the rest of the Communication Department, will strive to produce graduates who are effective communicators, collaborative colleagues, civically engaged, and innovative and creative thinkers in an ever-changing world.
At Columbia, we offer a rewarding work environment for our faculty and staff. We take pride in offering competitive benefits with affordable health, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending accounts; commuter benefit program, life and accidental, death & dismemberment coverage; paid and unpaid leave options; work/life benefits; educational assistance programs; and retirement and financial planning benefits.
We invite you to join our talented faculty and staff and become part of our collective aspiration to ensure Columbia prepares students for success in their creative fields through innovation, engagement and real-world experiences.
To ensure consideration, please include a cover letter, salary requirements, and three professional references in your submission.
Position subject to a background screening.
This is a non-union position.
Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Columbia College Chicago is an EEO Employer