Veterans Office Assistant (One or More Positions)
Veterans Office Assistant
Job Close Date: 02/27/2018
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under general supervision from assigned supervisory or management staff, performs a variety of specialized office support and clerical duties in support of Veterans Office functions; provides a variety of information and assistance to students, faculty, staff, and the general public relative to assigned area of responsibility; creates and maintains veteran students’ files; inputs veteran students’ personal data and class information into the Veterans Administration (VA) database; provides direction to and trains VA work-study students; and maintains a variety of records and files and generates a variety of reports.
• Methods and techniques used to respond to students with a variety of veterans service requests.
• Office assistance and support duties applicable to a veterans service office.
• Basic principles and techniques used in public relations including methods and techniques of proper receptionist and telephone etiquette.
• Office procedures, methods and equipment, including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Basic principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
• Principles and practices used to establish and maintain files and information retrieval systems.
• Principles, practices, and procedures of record-keeping.
• Work organization principles and practices.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Learn and understand the organization and operation of the Veterans Office and related program areas as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
• Learn, understand, interpret, and apply general administrative and office policies and procedures.
• Learn the Veterans Administration education benefits regulations and policies.
• Learn to accurately enter data into the VA on-line education software program.
• Perform a variety of office support and clerical duties and activities of a general and specialized nature for assigned veterans services.
• Respond appropriately to the needs and requests and inquiries from students, staff, faculty, and/or the public; effectively present information in person or on the telephone.
• Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality regarding critical and sensitive information, records and reports.
• Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
• Type or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
• Compile and organize data and information.
• Maintain filing systems.
• Exercise good judgment in maintaining information, records, and reports.
• Plan and organize work to meet schedules and changing deadlines.
• Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
• Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
• Work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions and a high degree of public contact by phone or in person.
• Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. Additional coursework or on-the-job-training in office practices and procedures is desirable.
Two years of general clerical or office experience involving extensive public contact, preferably in a college or other public agency. A military background is desirable.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license and proof of insurability.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER