Academic Designer/Web Developer
Job Description Summary
The Academic Designer/ Web Developer will help create compelling, web-based education experiences, help users take advantage of various software and cloud based systems, and design user experiences at both micro and macro levels inside the eLearning ecosystem. The Academic Designer/Web Developer will create effective experiences inside of "Lions SHARE" - the Saint Leo University learning platform, providing design consulting, UI/UX help, and connected experiences for all user levels. The Academic Designer/Web Developer will be responsible for developing system-wide content for delivery in the learning platform, and the work will span Saint Leo's entire modality offerings; face-to-face, hybrid, fully online learning, etc. This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Learning Design and has no direct reports.
- Learning (instructional) design, course design, and web design to create compelling on-line experiences that support and enhance learning throughout the organization and in alignment with the pedagogical mission and core values of the university.
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based learning experiences based on usability, including course and website maintenance, enhancements, etc.
- Use various markup languages to create web pages, including cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms.
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications for ongoing maintenance and "plug and play" options.
- Build wireframes, mockups, and prototypes of user experiences on tight timelines.
- Assist back-end developers, based on front-end issues, with coding and troubleshooting as needed.
- Create and continue graphic standards (including branding) throughout the courses and integrated platform.
- Look for opportunities to innovate, incorporating emerging technologies, processes, and paradigms in the existing frameworks.
- Promote usability best practices, including knowledge of 508 compliance.
- Assist in maintaining existing course content, and work with large user groups to assure their success in the use of the learning platform.
- Responsible for web portal design and content management for both the public web and internal, academic systems.
- Help create hyper-immersive courses leveraging gaming, simulation, and other platforms.
- Maintain a load of development, design, and redesign projects across various contexts (learning, public facing, etc).
- Work closely with other team members to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and a healthy team culture.
- Familiarity with visualizations of data and strategies for best ways by which to see and send analytic information on the web to various constituents / stakeholders.
- Help foster a positive culture within Learning Design of collaboration, collegiality, innovation, and product excellence.
- Work in partnership with departments and programs to support web strategies and initiatives.
- Potentially participate on strategic initiatives related to, but not limited to, content, learning innovation, teaching strategies, and assessment effective practices.
- Represent Saint Leo University Learning Design at meetings and conferences and encourage other team members to do the same.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Formal education in eLearning development and design is preferred.
- Experience building and/or maintaining websites, including integrations to and from other sites.
- Experience in creating courses for student audiences.
- Experience in creating eLearning courses across multiple modalities.
- Knowledge of adult web design and adult learning principles and best practices.
- Experience interacting with anLMS.
- Adept with appropriate development tools.
- Understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment
- Knowledge of and experience in using course management systems, multimedia tools and authoring software
- Knowledge and understanding of trends in higher education, such as distance learning, adaptive learning, competency-based education, use of open education resources (OER), etc.
- Excellent social, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Skills in web portal design, use of widgets, social media experience, creation, and maintenance, including rich content and interactive features
- Successful track record of planning and executing successful projects
- Demonstrated alignment to Saint Leo University's core values of excellence, respect, integrity, stewardship, community and personal development.
- Proven ability to organize and lead by example
- Pro-active approach to problem solving, constraints, and issues
- Positive attitude and the ability to encourage the same from team members
- Ability to work with business leaders in all areas to translate learning goals and objectives into compelling on-line instruction.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.