Global Business Services Analyst
Global Business Services Analyst
Job Number: 77854
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Stanford University is one of a select group of American universities that have achieved eminence in both undergraduate and graduate education and in a broad range of academic disciplines. The University is internationally recognized for the quality of its teaching and research, its distinguished faculty and its outstanding student body. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work.
Stanford's Financial Management Services (FMS) organization brings together the Controller's Office, Procurement, Office of the Treasurer, Global Business Services (GBS) and Financial Management Consulting and Support. FMS' goal is to lead, drive and model best practices in financial management for the campus community. FMS promotes a culture of continuous improvement. Within FMS, Global Business Services is responsible for the regulatory compliance and maintenance of the University's various non-investment foreign legal entities. Additionally, GBS addresses business risk issues, regulatory compliance and operational support needs for Stanford's outbound global activities. GBS's goal is to improve management of global risk associated with Stanford University's foreign activities. GBS has taken a leading role, shaping broad University policy and procedures, and developing enabling business infrastructure for the Stanford community engaged in University activities outside of the United States. It responds to US regulatory reporting requirements and seeks to enhance overall global regulatory compliance, while also providing enabling resources and services to make working abroad easier, allowing the academic community to dedicate more time to value-added program activities.
Work under general direction of management to identify and review the university's global business activities, develop and/or implement business risk mitigation strategies, and, execute and maintain a broad range of global business structures ranging from establishment to maintenance of subsidiary legal entities.
The successful candidate will have a hands-on approach to accomplishing the job purpose and outlined duties.
- Lead proactive risk assessment (planning, analysis, and due diligence) for complex university global functions or programs, with a focus on business and regulatory compliance matters. With the keen ability to recognize, refer and resolve issues outside of subject matter expertise.
- Evaluate and synthesize risk and business structuring alternatives for global expansion, including the development of project/program/entity options involving US and foreign regulations interpretation and evaluation. With due consideration of cohesion with institutional strategy, business case, set-up and maintenance costs, recommend actions and/or resolve complex and unstructured problems often spanning organizational boundaries.
- Implement risk and business structuring options ranging from facilitating negotiation and drafting of simple agreements to driving establishment of new legal entities in foreign jurisdictions, by coordinating with stakeholders across organizational boundaries to:
- Develop networks and liaise with internal clients (faculty, staff, and students to understand project goals, objectives and scope; and project pipelines,
- Leverage internal and external resources to undertake due diligence on key risks and in-country structuring options,
- Partner with clients to support compliant establishment and business operations of in-country activities, and
- Provide project management expertise to ensure that projects proceed timely and that cross-functional support hand-offs and follow-ups occur effectively
- Provide subject matter guidance on the design, structure, and implementation of business operations to support foreign legal entities and programs.
- Develop and participate in CRM strategy, implementation, and roll-out of a CRM, including developing project charters, technical requirements, work plans, and other project management tools to ensure successful implementation and roll-out.
- As needed, support or manage corporate maintenance of legal entities, regulatory reporting, and governmental filings.
- Convene ad hoc and permanent working groups, as necessary, to develop solutions to operational and operational policy development issues.
- Perform triage on global administrative/financial issues for faculty, staff, and students, and coordinate issue resolution.
- Develop and participate in outreach activities that include relationship development, communications, training development & delivery and compliance.
- Research best practices in supporting institutional global activities; introduce innovative developing tools and services to improve efficiency and compliance.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree/Professional certification (CPA, JD, MST, MBA) and 10 years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office suite.
- Solid understanding of financial and accounting principles.
- Solid understanding of enterprise risk management frameworks and internal controls.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills. Ability to clearly and effectively present information to internal and external audiences, and all levels of management.
- Strong research skills, ability to analyze and interpret complex regulatory language in a broad range of foreign jurisdictions and apply rules to University facts and circumstances.
- Demonstrated creativity, problem solving, critical analysis, initiative, judgment and, decision-making skills.
- Ability to creatively leverage range of resources to inform solutions in a low resource environment, accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels.
- Demonstrated project management, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to productively engage and influence cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated resilience, diplomacy, influence, relationship-building, and problem-solving skills in a range of situations.
- Experience working on full lifecycle CRM development and implementation, a plus.
See Education & Experience section
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks;
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly, fine manipulation.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Rarely lift/carry/push/pull objects that weight 11-20 pounds
- Work extended hours, evenings or weekends.
- Must be available and capable of occasional international travel.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job: Compliance Legal
Location: Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS)
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.