Dean of Student Success
The Dean of Student Success will have authority over areas and personnel within the Center for Student Success. The dean will provide leadership, support and budget oversight over the following departments: Academic Services, Career Services, and Disability Services in addition to the following areas: New Student Orientations and International Student Advising. The Dean will work collaboratively with members of the Deans Council and other University stakeholders to address issues of student retention, academic success and the mission of the University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide leadership, support and budget oversight to the Director of Career Services, Director of Academic Services and the Director of the Writing Center, in areas including the continued development of the Husson Experience course, the Learning/Writing Center, advising and support of undeclared students who are targeted advising and for students who are in need of additional academic support;
2. Provide leadership to Success Center staff who work in the area of disability services as well as managing a case load of students with disabilities; foster collaborations with all Schools/Colleges to support students with disabilities; develop professional development programs for faculty; liaison with legal counsel when needed for complex cases;
3. Supervise staff in the Student Success Center in the development and implementation of initiatives and programs as well as oversee the general Success Center budget;
4. Oversee the School Withdrawal/Leave of Absence process for students temporarily or permanently leaving the University and provide data/reports to stakeholders as needed;
5. Monitor student retention data and provide data/reports to stakeholders as needed;
6. Oversee all new student orientation events;
7. Participate on the Enrollment Managers Leadership team and keep other members apprised of the work of the Student Success Center;
8. Participate in Deans' Council;
9. Participate on the Students of Concern team and bring academic information to bear on issues/concerns;
10. Manage time cards for all professional staff and the administrative assistant; and
11. Other duties as assigned
The Dean of Student Success will have supervision responsibilities over personnel within the Center for Student Success. Direct supervision will include directors and administrative assistant. Directors and other staff may have supervisory responsibilities for individuals within their departments, graduate assistants, and work study students.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
• Encourage a climate of student support and success
• Strong knowledge of best practices in retention, disability services and career services
• Enhance a culture of diversity and community with faculty, staff and students
• Demonstrate collaborative management and leadership skills
• Ability to be a spokesperson and advocate for the University's vision for student success
• Demonstrate a record of effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience with the development and implementation of outcomes assessment and
• Strong organization and supervision skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A Master's degree is required in this position an Ed.D. or Ph.D. preferred from an accredited institution in education, counseling or a related field. The following qualifications are preferred: relevant experience in academic and student affairs in a college setting; experience with managing professional and student staff; teaching and advising experience at the college level; understanding of student development theory; and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.