Instructor of Computer Science
Job Purpose: The College of Business Administration at Winthrop University is seeking a full-time non-tenure-track Instructor of Computer Science to teach undergraduate courses for majors and non-majors. The BS in Computer Science degree is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET. The BS in Business Administration, including the Computer Information Systems concentration, is accredited by AACSB International. The department also offers core courses for the BS in Digital Information Design degree. The department’s general education technology course, CSCI 101, is one of the most popular courses on our campus. This faculty position will primarily support entry-level courses in those degree programs, and some advanced courses based on the faculty member’s expertise. For more information about the college, please see http://www.winthrop.edu/cba.
- Teach undergraduate courses for computing majors and non-majors
- Teach traditional classroom courses as well as online; some evening or summer classes are possible
- Administer aspects of the CSCI 101 lab courses, such as course content design and supervision of student tutors
- Assist with curriculum development, accreditation, program planning, student recruitment and advisement
- Participate in service to the program, department, college, and university
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
- M.S. in Computer Science or closely related field
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the department, college, and university levels
- Teaching experience
- Experience in IT or software development
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, non-tenure track appointment with faculty rank. Teaching load is 12-credits in both Fall and Spring. Salary is competitive and dependent on academic qualifications and work experience.
Work Environment: This position requires daily contact with students, faculty, and staff on campus.
Background Check Statement: Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a student loan default check, a criminal history record check, and, when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Position Availability: August 15, 2018
Application Timeline and Procedures:
- Review of applicants will begin on March 1, and continue until the position is filled. For more information, please see http://www.winthrop.edu/hr/.
- Required materials:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses, if available, of at least three persons who know the candidate professionally
- Transcript and evidence of highest degree achieved
- All materials should be submitted electronically to: https://apply.interfolio.com/48810
For question, contact Dr. Marguerite Doman, committee chair
College of Business Administration
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Email: [email protected]