Director of Development and Alumni Relations
The Heller School for Social Policy and Management, where the idealism of a social justice mission meets the rigor and prestige of a top-ranked policy school. Heller has a leading community of scholars committed to progressive social policy and development, at a school specifically founded to advance careers committed to social change. Brandeis University is seeking to hire a Director of Development & Alumni Relations to join their dynamic team at the Heller School, where they will be responsible for all of its fundraising programs. This is a strategic position that involves maximizing the effectiveness of the Dean and the Heller faculty through coaching, coordinating all fundraising actions related to donors and prospects assigned to Heller, drafting letters, donor cultivation and stewardship, and assisting in planning and running meetings with officers of the Heller Board and in conjunction with events to raise the visibility and awareness of the School’s mission. The Director will closely coordinate with the Institutional Advancement office regarding funding strategy, stewardship and donor relations, prospect management and gift processing. Supporting the Dean by developing time lines and strategic moves and by ensuring appropriate and timely follow-up with identified prospects. Maintaining excellent relations with Heller faculty. Exceptional writing skills and a collaborative working style required.
Examples of Key Responsibilities:
· Directs Fundraising at the Heller School. Develops ideas, identifies prospects, visits prospects, sets up meeting with appropriate faculty, and administration of both the Heller School and the University. Includes preparation, cultivation and solicitation, and follow up with prospects and donors.
· Responsible for Three Board of Overseers meetings annually and intermediate executive committee meetings, working in conjunction with the Dean and Chair and Vice Chair to establish agendas. Must monitor regular contact and ways of involving board members in the business of the Heller School.
· Directs gift processing and coordination with advancement services on data base issues. Supervises keeping the data base updated.
· Develops written proposals, talking points for others including the Dean for events, correspondence, works on fundraising campaigns organized by the University but also ones particular to Heller that involve fundraising around a specific program or idea.
· Designs and executes events where donors are sponsoring them and/or to raise the visibility of the school
· Oversees the regular stewardship and donor relations functions which include managing connections between up to 30 fellowship recipients including letters, face to face relationships between donors and fellowship recipients, and other donor related recognition.
Qualifications: Must have proficiency on computers and the ability to use all alumni and donor data bases in the execution of the job. Must have strong relational, collaborative, and team work skills for both internal and external relations. Must have strategic planning skills, excellent judgment, facility with financial data, tolerance of ambiguity, and flexibility in work hours as well as the ability to switch strategies when needed. An attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done is paramount. Leadership skills in order to build confidence in those around including the Dean and donors to the School. Must have a track record of cultivating and closing gifts in six and seven figures and working as part of a team that accomplishes closing of major gifts.
How to Apply: Submit cover letter and resume as a single document at http://www.brandeis.edu/humanresources/jobs/external.html.