Instructor, English (2 Positions)
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking to fill two Instructor, English positions for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, English (2 Positions)
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 2FLA07/2FLA40
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Language Arts
The English Instructor shall:
1. Teach basic reading and writing, transfer English, and literature and critical thinking.
2. Apply knowledge of contemporary methodologies of teaching reading, literature, and composition and evidence of demonstrated ability to apply these methodologies to teaching practice.
3. Use knowledge of the mission of California community colleges.
4. Communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
5. Teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, and/or off-campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment.
6. Demonstrated sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in English, literature, comparative literature, or composition
Bachelor’s in any of the above
Master’s in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing or journalism
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Ability to work with other faculty in collegial responsibilities.
2. Familiarity with computer-aided instruction and distance education.
3. Interest in teaching reading, critical thinking, and composition to adults at the transfer and basic skills level who have transfer and/or vocational educational goals.
4. Knowledge of literature by diverse authors and about diverse people.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F59P
Open Date 02/12/2018
Close Date 03/16/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
At all levels of instruction, we have English courses that stress both the reading and writing process. In approximately 300 words, please respond to the following questions:
A. Please explain how you integrate the process of reading and writing in a transfer level English class.
B. Describe the specific assignment and explain how you would scaffold in the classroom.
C. How do you modify this activity or assignment when teaching a developmental (pre-transfer level) course?
Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER