The Sustainability Coordinator serves as a key facilitator of sustainability-related activity on campus. The successful candidate will provide broad institutional leadership in the college’s efforts to infuse sustainability principles into all curricular, co-curricular, and operational aspects of the college. The central focus of the position is on engaging with students, faculty, and staff to promote sustainability across campus and to facilitate worthy initiatives. The Sustainability Coordinator will work collaboratively with a diverse array of units of the college as Concordia moves towards achieving its Vision for Sustainability.
- Work with the President’s Sustainability Council and the various units of the college to refine and pursue the goals and initiatives consistent with the Concordia College Vision for Sustainability and Strategic Plan. Conduct information-finding research and data collection as needed.
- Work with the President’s Sustainability Council to implement the Integrated Climate Commitment and develop a Climate Action Plan.
- Track progress on meeting college sustainability goals, produce an annual sustainability report, and keep the college up-to-date in its STARS reporting.
- Promote sustainable practices and sustainability principles on campus through efforts to increase understanding, foster collaborative educational experiences across all campus constituencies (students, staff, and faculty), and promote behaviors consistent with local and global sustainability.
- Assist units in developing and implementing changes that reduce the ecological footprint (including carbon emissions) of college operations.
- Work closely with individual students and student groups, assisting them in pursuing sustainability initiatives and creating a culture of sustainability. A successful candidate will be committed to college student development.
- Run the Eco-Reps program, oversee EcoHouse programming, and provide overall coordination for the campus organic garden including supervision of part-time Garden Manager.
- Manage the sustainability section of the college’s website and promote awareness of the college’s sustainability efforts.
- Represent the college’s sustainability efforts to community and other external audiences, including alumni of the college
- Participate in department and division wide initiatives and projects as assigned
- BA/BS with at least two full years working in the field of sustainability or in higher education and with a demonstrated record of achievement.
- Highly effective leadership, collaborative, and interpersonal relationship skills; able to work successfully with students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Strong organizational skills and able to handle at one time multiple projects of varying size and complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage, and implement projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; good computer skills.
- The ability to understand technical and financial data (on carbon emissions, electricity costs, etc.) and to relate them to the general community.
- An understanding of and interest in the global dimensions of sustainability.
- Support for the mission and vision of Concordia College.
- Master’s degree, preferably related to environmental or sustainability studies.
- Two or more years of experience working in higher education in the area of sustainability.
- Experience supervising employees and providing training and evaluation
- Experience advising college student leaders or student groups
For more information and to apply, please visit https://hr.cord.edu. Concordia College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Criminal background check required.