Law Enforcement Officer I
The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, invites applications for a full-time Law Enforcement Officer I in the Public Safety department. This role enforces laws, ordinances, regulations, and insures personnel and property are secured. When necessary, exercise independent judgment to make immediate decisions, respond to all campus emergencies, prepare police blotters, maintain equipment and facilities, secure keys, monies, evidence firearms. Monitors departmental radio/battery status. This individual supports the senior Public Safety official on campus. Assumes law enforcement and security responsibilities and makes judgments during potentially volatile law enforcement situations and resolves the problem. Maintains physical fitness level enabling continual law enforcement/performance of police duties; is subject to non-notice recall for special events and/or emergency; and will be required to stand for extended periods of time.
The officer in this role is required to make on-the-spot evaluations and initiates corrective actions ensuring security of Citadel facilities, governmental/school property to include U.S. Government firearms and supplies. In addition, the Officer will be required to assist with criminal, accident, and incident investigations. Due to the nature of this position, the employee must maintain a high level of confidentiality and must maintain a close relationship with command staff of Public Safety. The position entails public contact work. The exercise of considerable initiative, independent judgment, and discretion and confidentiality while dealing with visitors, requests for information, and general public relations activities is paramount. The employee is expected to exercise initiative in keeping informed of all local, state and federal laws in addition to policies, rules, and regulations performing under minimal supervision.
- Employee could possess either a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice or High School/GED diploma/certificate and knowledge supplemented by completion of formal courses in criminal justice.
- Must have the ability to achieve certification through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
- Police experience or comparable military or related experience is required.
- Applicant must be able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal format. Maintain Firearms qualification. Operate office computer and sophisticated alarms and equipment.
- Must possess a current South Carolina Driver's License.
- The officer must possess Leadership, motivational analytical, organizational and verbal/written communication skills. Willing to develop and support the creation of a positive department structure.
- The inbound/outbound customer service experience is an automated environment. Basic knowledge of administrative functions to include basic keyboarding/and word processing/report writing/filing.
- One year experience.
- Prior experience in policing academic environments.