Public Safety Lieutenant (11 pm – 7am)
Under the general supervision of the Director of Public Safety, Public Safety Lieutenant will supervise Public Safety Officers, a Sergeant and Student Workers and participate in the management of the Department, ensuring that the college community and its facilities are safe and secure.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Department on an assigned shift, the duties are to include:
- Assign patrol officers.
- Ensure proper staffing—filling shift vacancies.
- Implement campus patrols.
- Conduct investigations.
- Enforce traffic and parking controls.
- Receive and review daily patrol logs, computerized data entry regarding calls for service, campus occurrences, and all written reports regarding incidents.
- Observe and supervise Public Safety Officer functioning during assigned shift or as directed.
- Respond and supervise responses to all emergencies until directed otherwise.
- Interact and engage with Residence Life staff, Buildings and Grounds staff, municipal agencies such as MPD and MFD and state agencies as required.
Responsible to ensure that all staff understand and adhere to all College rules and regulations, Department Procedures, and laws of the Commonwealth.
Responsible to perform the duties of DPS Public Safety Officer/dispatch on an assigned shift
- Maintain good physical condition, ability to protect self and others in a conflict situation.
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license with a good driving record and the ability to operate a Curry College Public Safety vehicle.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Working knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws.
Perform other duties as directed in the best interest of the College
- With the direct expressed approval of the Director of Public Safety, lieutenant may arrest an individual violating a Massachusetts General Laws and proceed through judicial actions as required. In the absence of the Director of Public Safety, approval for arrests will be made by the Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students.
- Attend campus meetings.
- Make decisions in the best interest of the College and the Department.
- Act as officer in charge of the shift in the absences of his/her supervisor.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols, and individual privacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor of his/her designee.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in in Criminal Justice. (Bachelor’s Degree preferred).
- Graduate of a Police Reserve Intermittent Academy (minimum 242 hours) or a recognized law enforcement academy.
- Four (4) years of progressive public safety experience in a campus setting or three years in law enforcement.
- Served as Sergeant in a role prior to be promoted to Lieutenant for at least 2 years.
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
- Ability to work additional day/evening and weekend hours to support a primarily. residential campus; required to be on-call.
- Certified in basic First Aid and CPR.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the college, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at: http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.