Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
The University of Utah invites applications and nominations for the position of Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Review of candidate materials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will be expected to begin duties on or about July 1, 2018.
The University seeks a Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs who possesses a strong academic background, research and teaching credentials sufficient to qualify for the rank of tenured professor, and who demonstrates a commitment to both undergraduate and graduate/professional education, the advancement and dissemination of knowledge, and engagement with community. Leadership experience in complex academic environments, management of significant budgets and resources, knowledge of the current higher education landscape and related academic affairs issues, and a strong commitment to shared governance are also required.
As a member of the executive leadership team, the incumbent must have the ability actively to participate in establishing and advancing the strategic direction of the University. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs are the Deans of the Colleges of Architecture + Planning, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Humanities, Law, Mines & Earth Sciences, Science, Social & Behavioral Science, Social Work; the Deans of the David Eccles School of Business, the Graduate School, the School for Cultural and Social Transformation, and the Honors College; the Deans of the Marriott Library and Undergraduate Studies. In addition, the following people report to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs: the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Associate Vice President for Equity & Diversity, the Director of the Utah Museum of Natural History, the Chief Information Officer, and the Chief Sustainability Officer. Leaders from several arts units also align with the Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs through an Arts Council.
To view a full position profile, visit Position Profile
The University of Utah, located in Salt Lake City, is the flagship institution of higher learning in Utah. Founded in 1850, it serves approximately 32,500 students from across the U.S. and the world. The University of Utah is a comprehensive top-tier research university, with more than 90 major fields of study at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels, including law and medicine. The mission of the University is to foster student success by preparing students from diverse backgrounds for lives of impact as leaders and citizens; generate and share new knowledge, discoveries, and innovations; and engage local and global communities to promote education, health, and quality of life. These contributions, in addition to responsible stewardship of our intellectual, physical, and financial resources, ensure the long‐term success and viability of the institution. As a preeminent research and teaching university with national and global reach, the University cultivates an academic environment in which the highest standards of intellectual integrity and scholarship are practiced.
QUALIFICATIONS: The University of Utah seeks in its new Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs a leader with vision for the advancement of higher education and scholarship, a record of success and innovation, a global perspective, and extraordinary energy. The successful candidate will be a person of high integrity who will inspire the University community to new levels of excellence in scholarship, education and engagement across a complex, multi-faceted campus. Candidates should have a history of leadership in the academy; innovative accomplishments as a leader; a record of success as a scholar; commitment to and demonstrated success in fostering diversity; the capacity to respond effectively to a dynamic higher education environment; a demonstrated ability to build and cultivate financial support for the University and its programs; and accomplishment in creating and supporting a climate of community, integrity, and mutual respect and appreciation.
FURTHER DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
• Minimum of 5 years of successful experience as a senior level administrator in an academic setting at an Extensive Doctoral/ Research Highest University with 15,000 or more students.
• Demonstrated results in student success and innovation, particularly improving undergraduate and graduate student retention and completion rates.
• Experience as a leader in an institution with an academic medical center and a prominent Division I intercollegiate athletic program.
• Proven success in fund raising, including the capacity and passion to convey messages and ask for support that will contribute to the substantial ongoing development campaign.
• Broad managerial skills and experience; a proven record of sound fiscal, organizational, and management practice.
• Experience and a demonstrated affinity for and commitment to the mission and values of a public university; enthusiasm for the University’s role as a flagship state university.
• Familiarity with national and global business, educational, and cultural matters; the ability to build rapport with corporate, educational, and governmental leaders.
• Understanding of and appetite for the academic culture and how to assemble a full range of strategic options in complex organizations and execute ambitious plans.
• Commitment to diversity, including individual action and institutional leadership to advance diversity beyond mere compliance.
• Ability to build consensus among faculty, staff and students on institutional priorities and mission, with a fair, collaborative, and transparent leadership style that will succeed in an environment of shared governance.
• Exceptional listening and communication skills; the ability to energize and inspire students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, trustees, and other external constituencies.
• Experience working with public boards and assisting them in reaching their full potential to advance institutional goals.
• Ability to thrive in a public environment with well-developed political and diplomatic skills; adept at representing the institution’s missions and goals with both the executive and legislative branch.
• Ability to garner influence and credibility with the news media and opinion leaders; a demonstrated sense of political and media awareness in recognizing both the substance and “optics” of actions and decisions.
• Demonstrated support and appreciation of the value and importance of alumni relations within the University’s strategic initiatives.
• Appreciation for the distinctive history and culture of the State of Utah with a recognition of the need to connect with a broad spectrum of constituents in making decisions for the University.
• Record of undergraduate/graduate teaching excellence, an earned doctorate or its equivalent degree, and service and scholarship commensurate with that of a tenured professor.
PRIORITIES OF LEADERSHIP:
• Positively contribute to the academic mission of the University.
• Support and enhance the academic vision of the institution.
• Provide trusted leadership for the faculty.
• Work to ensure that academic programs at undergraduate and graduate levels are innovative and vibrant.
• Provide leadership in supporting diversity and respecting all voices in the decision-making process.
• Promote graduate education and path-breaking research.
• Ensure that undergraduate and graduate completion rates continue to improve.
• Connect a vibrant campus life to the academic experience.
• Foster collegial relationships and synergies.
• Build upon the global strategy of the institution and extend the University’s recognition nationally and globally.
• Connect a vibrant campus life to academic endeavors.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please do not apply through the University of Utah system, but through the Summit Search Solutions application portal. To assure full consideration, applications should be submitted by March 12, 2018 and include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and five professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. Confidentiality will be respected throughout this search and references will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications should be sent electronically (PDFformat) to: https://www.highereddecisions.com/sss/
To inquire about this posting, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-677-9945.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly