Research Specialist II
Requisition # 2018-8440
Department Woodrow Wilson School
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Empirical Studies of Conflict Project (ESOC) seeks a Research Specialist to provide a full range of research support, from qualitative case studies to geo-spatial and statistical analysis, for a multi-university team of researchers. Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, the Specialist will analyze and develop data to examine politically motivated violence worldwide and the efficacy of policies to reduce it (including in such countries as Afghanistan, Colombia, India, Iraq, Pakistan, and the Philippines).
This position is ideal for someone with a Master's degree seeking an applied research position, as well as exceptional graduating seniors with a strong interest in pursuing a PhD in Economics or Political Science after acquiring a year or two of research experience.
This is a one-year term position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and C.V. online. Upon request, candidates should be prepared to submit references, transcripts, and/or writing samples.
The Specialist will analyze and develop data to examine politically motivated violence worldwide and the efficacy of policies to reduce it (including in such countries as Afghanistan, Colombia, India, Iraq, Pakistan, and the Philippines).
Essential Requirements include:
- BA or more advanced degree, preferably in computer science, economics, political science, sociology or statistics
- Academic experience conducting data-intensive analysis as well as historical research
- Proficiency with or ability to rapidly learn Python, R, STATA, and ArcGIS software or equivalents
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Evidence of ability to take the initiative in solving practical research problems
- Ability to work independently and to adjust to rapidly changing needs of researchers
- Masters degree in a social science such as Economics, Political Science, or Sociology, or in another field with applied data science work
- Two or more years of experience working on impact evaluation projects involving randomized trials, matched control designs, or applications of machine learning
- Familiarity with the use of ESRI suite of products and Python scripting
- Familiarity with SQL or other database systems
- Experience with automated scraping of data from websites
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.