Laboratory & Field Specialist (Temporary position)
Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites qualified applicants to apply for the Temporary, (40 hours a week) Laboratory & Field Technician located at Eastern Shore Laboratory located in Wachapreague, VA.
The Laboratory & Field Technician position will be to assist with aquaculture research projects.
The responsibilities include:
- Assist with field sampling and processing of samples. (Includes assisting with preparations prior to sampling and post-sampling cleaning and storing of field gear.)
- Assist with hatchery and nursery operations for bay scallops or other bivalves.
- Collecting and recording data and ensure data is accurately maintained.
High School Diploma or equivalent, with some college level science courses and hands on experience.
- A basic knowledge of marine ecology.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols and basic laboratory procedures with the ability to process samples, prepare set up of experiments and recording data.
- General working knowledge of laboratory equipment, with the demonstrated ability to use microscopes.
- Proficiency in a variety of computer software applications, with strong data entry skills.
- Good communication skills with the ability to following instructions and work effectively as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy in daily work.
- Ability to do field work aboard small boats and work in marine environments.
- Experience in aquaculture operations.
- Experience using a microscope.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Familiarity with marine bivalves.
- Knowledge of record keeping and data management.
- Experience working on research projects in marine science.
- Experience using compound and dissecting microscopes.
- Prior experience in computer spreadsheet work.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.