Instructor, Early Childhood Development
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Early Childhood Development for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Early Childhood Development
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 2FSS25
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Social Sciences
1. Ability to teach undergraduate, lower division classes in Early Childhood Development (ECD) including Early Childhood Curriculum and Practicum/Fieldwork Experiences, Early Childhood Education and Care, Child Development, The Professional Caregiver, Child, Family and Community, and Program Supervision.
2. Ability to develop innovative and creative scheduling of courses responsive to ECD community needs, including the development of online courses.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
4. Alternative scheduling may represent a significant part of the regular teaching assignment. Flexibility in late afternoon evening, weekend and/or off-campus classes, and online classes.
5. Work within a collaborative environment between faculty and staff in the ECD Program and Early Childhood Lab School.
6. Participate in campus professional activities, including, but not limited to, committee membership and staff meetings.
7. Evidence of a strong commitment to remaining current in the early childhood education and the child development field.
8. Familiarity with PITC, the CA Learning Foundations and Curriculum Frameworks, California Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) and other assessment tools used in the early childhood field.
9. Evidence of a strong commitment to emergent, culturally responsive, play-based curriculum approaches.
10. Ability to meet the needs of community college learners with diverse backgrounds and a wide range of skills and goals.
11. Experience mentoring students or teachers to support work-based competencies.
12. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in child development, early childhood education, human development, home economics/family and consumer studies with a specialization in child development/early childhood education or educational psychology with a specialization in child development/early childhood education
Bachelor’s in any of the above
Master’s in social work, educational supervision, elementary education, special education, psychology, bilingual/bicultural education, life management/home economics, family life studies or family and consumer studies
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Understanding of and experience with the collaborative nature of early childhood programs, and ability to serve a liaison with community agencies, particularly in Alameda County.
2. Three years teaching experience in an early childhood setting (children ages 0 – 5) and evidence of strong academic preparation in early childhood education/child development, human growth and development focused on years 0 – 8 as evidenced by upper division and/or graduate level coursework or certifications.
3. College teaching experience, particularly at the community college level in a lab/practicum course setting.
4. Fluency in a second language (oral and written). Proficiency in Spanish desirable.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F53P
Open Date 02/02/2018
Close Date 03/30/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Discuss your experiences teaching Early Childhood Development at the college level within a culturally diverse student population. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
Discuss your understanding of the relationship between an Early Childhood Development Program and Lab School. How are the roles of the Early Childhood Program and the Lab School linked? Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 2."
(Open Ended Question)
Discuss how your previous experience in Early Childhood Education programs will influence your instruction in Early Childhood Development classes? Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 3."
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Response to Supplemental Question 2
- Response to Supplemental Question 3
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER