Instructor, Biology (General)
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Biology for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Biology (General)
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 3FSM35
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department Math, Science, Engineering & Public Safety
1. Ability to teach Biology, including lectures and laboratories; emphasis and primary assignment in GE and introductory courses (Bio 10, Bio 20, Bio 30, Bio 40, Bio 50, Bio 60).
2. Ability to teach biological sciences, especially GE and introductory biology, enthusiastically to a variety of students.
3. Ability to design and implement innovative teaching methodologies in the above mentioned fields including the laboratories.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of current laboratory techniques and computer based instruction.
5. Commitment to working successfully as a team with science instructors, laboratory technicians, and other colleagues.
6. Ability to effectively integrate use of biology facilities (greenhouse, aquarium, student learning centers) and equipment into the Biology program.
7. Ability to contribute to the total operation of the Department, Division, and College.
8. Commitment to working with other Biology and STEM faculty and staff to increase support and success for students in the STEM courses and pathways.
9. Ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles and a variety of teaching modalities, including distance learning.
10. Participate in campus professional activities, which include, but are not limited to: committee membership, curriculum development, staff meetings, and community outreach.
11. Ability to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning, and/or off-campus classes, when scheduled, as part of the regular teaching assignment.
12. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
13. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in any biological science
Bachelor’s in any biological science
Master’s in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Teaching experience in Biology, at the college level, with an emphasis in GE and introductory biology.
2. Teaching experience in biotechnology is a desirable, but not mandatory, qualification.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F42P
Open Date 01/25/2018
Close Date 02/28/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
In no more than one page, provide a discussion of your teaching philosophy and what you believe are your responsibilities to your students. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
Provide a chronological list or table of the biology courses you have taught. Include course name, course number, level (lower-division, upper division, or graduate), and the institution where you taught the course. If you were not the instructor of record (i.e. if you were a Teaching Assistant), or if you only taught a portion of the class, provide a brief narrative of your actual duties in the class. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 2."
(Open Ended Question)
Provide a course syllabus for an introductory Biology course. If you have never taught this course, provide a representative syllabus. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 3."
(Open Ended Question)
Provide a chronological list or table of all biology courses taken. Include institution, course name, course number, level (lower-division, upper division, or graduate), number of units (indicate quarter or semester), and grade received. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 4."
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Response to Supplemental Question 2
- Response to Supplemental Question 3
- Response to Supplemental Question 4
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER