The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Geography for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Geography
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 2FSS27
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Social Sciences
1. Teaching introductory college-level courses in Geography, including: Physical Geography, Human (Cultural) Geography, World Regional Geography, Physical Geography Laboratory, Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Introduction to Weather and Climate
2. Developing new curriculum; revising programs in Geography where appropriate; writing/updating program reviews; updating course outlines and student learning outcomes; assessment of learning outcomes; adapting instructional techniques to various learning styles and abilities
3. Taking a leadership role in generating student interest in, and providing resources for, the Geography programs
4. Coordinating with division dean and administrative personnel in scheduling of classes and coordination of adjunct faculty in Geography
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form, and commit to working successfully as a team member with other social science instructors and colleagues
6. Regularly conduct, record, and respond to student learning outcomes assessments
7. Participating in professional activities, meetings, and events, including shared governance committee membership
8. Ability to deliver instruction using current technologies in pedagogy and in Geography
9. Willingness to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment
10. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in geography
Bachelor’s in geography
Master’s in geology, history, meteorology or oceanography
OR the equivalent
OR see Interdisciplinary Studies.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Experience in both classroom and distance education modes of instruction.
2. Experience with applications of remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS) and global positioning systems (GPS), and in teaching the essentials of these technologies
3. Experience using multiple teaching strategies in a classroom setting
4. Interest in working with other faculty in developing new curriculum in the interdisciplinary Environmental Studies program, and in promoting its growth through coordination in scheduling course offerings and sharing Geography’s resources.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F52P
Open Date 02/02/2018
Close Date 03/19/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Discuss courses you have developed and/or taught in the areas of physical, human, cultural, and world regional geography, climatology, and geographic information systems. List the number of courses taught in each area and where you taught them. Include sample syllabi. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your background/training/teaching experiences, if any, with geographic information systems (GIS). Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe any innovative teaching methodologies you use to facilitate student learning in a classroom of students with diverse backgrounds and levels of academic preparation. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Discuss your experiences integrating technology into your classes; e.g., computer-aided instruction, internet-based strategies, distance education, and course management systems. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER