Institutional Research Associate
Position Title: Institutional Research Associate
Position Number: 000095
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Posting Number: 0401206
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: $60,000
Maximum salary: $81,576
Overall Position Competency: EHRA
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The purpose of the Office of Institutional Research is to support the university's mission by providing information to aid in the decision-making process. The information includes studies and reports on the operations of instructional programs and policies pertinent to academic divisions and to the success of the institution. The specific aim of this function is to probe deeply into the workings of the institution for evidence of weaknesses or flaws that interfere with the attainment of its purpose and to take the results of these findings and develop strategies to correct or improve on current functions.
The office provides informational and statistical data to support planning, resource allocation and program evaluation to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, key administrators, and department chairs. In addition, the Office of Institutional Research has the major responsibility for reporting University data on students, faculty/staff, and facilities to the University of North Carolina- General Administration; federal, state, and other external agencies and groups.
Description of Work Continued:
• Providing and analyzing the data required to guide the university's overall strategic planning efforts, to include:
• Develop and administer assessment tools and prepare descriptive reports on survey results using SAS, SPSS or another statistical package for internal consumption of assessments as required.
• Creating databases for office reporting and research requirements.
• Responding to requests for data from offices, department chairs, deans, and other administrators.
• Providing data needed for public presentations by the chancellor and other university representatives.
• Collaborate with faculty, staff, and other administrative offices to develop strategies and design tools for data collection, to include:
• Receiving requests for the kinds of data needed and developing strategies for collecting these data.
• Working with various offices to design web instruments, surveys, and other instruments to collect data relevant to institutional research efforts.
• Fulfill other responsibilities related to the position that will enhance job performance, to include:
• Conducting workshops for faculty and staff on data collection and appropriate uses of data in planning and assessment.
• Attending conferences and workshops related to research, assessment, and data analysis.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Completion of coursework for a four-year college degree preferably in sociology, economics, psychology or related social science including coursework in statistics, research methodology, computer science and/or other coursework directly related to the work to be performed and six months of experience in gathering, editing, and analyzing data for social and economic research; or graduation from high school and five years of progressively responsible clerical/administrative experience of the kind found in statistical aides (IV) and (V), including three years in gathering, editing, and exporting statistical data; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
The position must have knowledge of:
a. Data collection and report generation.
b. The important role of data collection and reports to institutional research efforts.
c. Knowledge of websites and other reporting tools.
d. Best practices in higher education in the assessment of institutional research efforts.
The position must have the following skills:
a. Excellent data collection and report generation skills that can be applied to the Banner system and other databases.
b. Effective quantitative skills to interpret and translate the meaning of data to the decision making process.
c. Effective website management skills.
d. Effective communication skills to present reports in a variety of settings.
e. Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with all internal and external constituencies.
The position must have the following abilities:
a. The ability to develop reports and websites related to information generated by the position.
b. The ability to translate data into plans for making improvements in the retention efforts.
Bachelor's degree in a program with substantial training in statistical analysis five years' experience in higher education. Master's degree or equivalent experience preferred. Two years' experience with SAS, SPSS or similar statistical analysis packages.
Closing Date: 02/12/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- High school graduate, diploma or the equivalent
- Some college credit, no degree
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Professional/Graduate degree
- * Do you have prior experience in statistical analysis?
- * How many years have you worked in Higher Education?
- less than 2 years
- 2-5 years
- 5-8 years
- more than 8 years
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.