English Instructor - Composition and Technical Communication
The Liberal Arts and Sciences Division at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for a full-time English instructorship to begin August 2018. This full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position will have an initial two-year contract with the possibility for annual extensions.
English faculty at Florida Polytechnic provide writing-intensive instruction to support fulfillment of general education requirements for students enrolled in STEM-related degree programs. English coursework aims to develop effective communication and critical analysis skills applicable in a range of genres and media, and for a variety of audiences.
- Teach a 4/4 load of first-year composition and professional & technical communication courses
- Provide coordinating support for introductory courses
- Collaborate with other program faculty members engaged in similar efforts
- Participate in obtaining grant support for curricular and pedagogical improvements
- Engage in department, program, and university service activities
- Hold regular office hours
- MA in English, Rhetoric, Technical Communication, or a closely related field by August 2018 from a regionally accredited institution
- At least two years of experience teaching first-year composition and/or technical communication
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, colleagues, and staff, both orally and in writing
- Familiarity with course management systems and classroom instructional technologies
- PhD in English, Rhetoric, Technical Communication, or a closely related field by August 2018 from a regionally accredited institution
- At least four years of experience teaching first-year composition and/or technical communication
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format:
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of transcripts