Maintenance Worker II, Maintenance & Operations
With little or no supervision, this position performs repairs and maintenance at a semi-skilled level. This position also performs or assists in services completed by Painter II and Carpenter II by performing the following duties.
- Performs work in at least three or more trade areas such as, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, carpentry and painting.
- Installs, removes, repairs, and relocates a variety of the University property.
- Does routine painting, patching, and other minor repairs to wall and ceiling surfaces.
- Lubricates and makes minor adjustments to pumps, motors, and control devices.
- Operates and makes minor repairs to heating systems.
- Performs routine plumbing, electrical, lawn sprinkler, and carpentry repairs, replacements, and installations.
- Picks up material needed for repairs or alterations.
- Repairs and installs ceramic and mosaic tiles.
- Replaces or cleans filters.
- Replaces electrical switches, receptacles, and ballasts.
- Assists skilled tradesmen in more difficult repairs, replacements, and installations.
- Reports to work early in the morning, weekends, and holidays for snow removal, when necessary.
- Removes snow from walks, steps, ramps and parking lots by power equipment or shovel.
- Operates trencher, tractor, and other power equipment.
- Cleans area after job is completed.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as material safety data sheets, operating manuals, and work orders.
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math skills required when measuring, and performing take offs for miscellaneous jobs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral and diagrams or schedule form.
- Ability to assess quickly a variety of data in emergencies in order to develop effective solutions.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Moderate skills. Competency in maintenance fields/functions.
- Knowledge of standardized work routines and the ability to follow oral/written instructions involving a number of steps.
- Knowledge of all types of equipment and related OSHA and EPA regulations and able to effectively communicate regulations to others
- A high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Three years of experience in general maintenance work including painting and hot water heating systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Must pass a Pre-Placement Physical.
Tasks involve bending, standing, climbing, crouching, sitting and many repetitive motions. Required to lift, push, pull, and lower objects in excess of 100 pounds. This job also requires one to work with line voltage and operate hand and power equipment, including tractors and trenchers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must work from high ladders and scaffolding.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials no later than 4:00 p.m. MST on Wednesday, February 2, 2018.
This position will remain open and accepting applications until filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact James Stroup at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Facilities & Campus Safety may require the following background check statement:
- Offer of employment is based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check and Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR), Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, Human Performance Evaluation and verification of employment and education.