Assistant Director, Housing and Residence Life
Assistant Director, Housing and Residence Life – Requisition # 180000005Q
This position will lead the educational and administrative efforts for one area of campus within Housing & Residence Life. Responsibilities include:
- Staff supervision and training: recruiting, selecting, and supervising full time Resident Directors, full time administrative staff, resident assistants, other student staff, and Graduate Assistants; planning and coordinating training for full time and students throughout the year. Coordinate full-time and student staff evaluation.
- Student Development & Education: responsible for providing educational efforts and service to support the retention, progression, and graduation of students; responsible for designing, implementing, and revising a curricular approach to residential education, using an outcomes-based learning model; assessing or assisting in the assessment of educational initiatives within residential areas; responsible for maintaining Living and Learning Communities, by way of staff hiring, day-to-day supervision, and problem solving; overseeing the assessment of all educational efforts within Residence Life; advising, or assisting with, Residence Hall Association and student Complex Councils; coordinating, or assisting with, operation move-in program; advising individual residents, students, and student staff; referring to the appropriate agencies if necessary; assisting in the coordination of the conduct process and student of concern referrals within specified area; serving as conduct hearing officer by investigating cases quickly and efficiently, while observing due process; managing area budget(s) related to educational initiatives.
- Administration: developing goals for planning and evaluation; attend meetings as established by the administration; overseeing departmental committees and serve on university committees as needed; assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures; reviewing and revising publications, monitoring/editing the housing web page.
- Summer School/Special Projects: responsible for, or assisting with, the day-to-day operation of summer school to include check-ins, check-outs, and staff supervision; interfacing with internal and external stakeholders; includes an extensive summer training preparation for 100 + staff members lasting five weeks or more; extensive and intensive strategic planning for long-term and academic year projects during the summer.
- Crisis Management: available 24/7 for crisis situations and offer immediate support and resources to students involved; update appropriate people in timely manner of situations that arise.
Master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration, or related field is required. Minimum of 3 or more years’ full time experience in Housing and Residence Life required. Experience in supervising Resident Assistants and/or Graduate Assistant required. Must have skills in community development to include, organizing and planning student programming, student group advisement, and assessment efforts. Experience in recruiting, selecting and training resident assistant staff preferred; experience working with residential curriculum preferred. Must have ability to analyze, interpret, and apply policy and procedural guidelines and solve problems.
Applications must be submitted electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=180000005Q
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.