Executive Assistant to Senior VP, Finance & Administration
The Office of the Senior Vice President has executive oversight of the areas of the Chief Financial Officer, which includes Budget, Financial Operations, Financial Compliance and Procurement; it also includes Planning and Execution, Investment Administration, James Monroe Highland as well as the Offices of Auxiliary Services, Police Department, Facilities Management, and Human Resources.
William & Mary invites qualified applicants to apply for the Executive Assistant, Finance & Administration. The ideal candidate will possess a strong business acumen with the ability to work with highly confidential information using discretion at all times. Additionally, the successful incumbent will be a self-starter, possess a strong attention to detail, demonstrate the ability to work independently with limited direction while exercising sound judgment in performing all responsibilities.
The Executive Assistant to the Senior VP, Finance & Administration manages the office of the Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration and the office of the Chief Financial Officer. This position assists the Sr VP, serving as a liaison with key community stakeholders as well as the Board of Directors as needed. The Executive Assistant also provides general office management for the executive offices of Finance. This position supervises an Administrative Assistant.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Executive Assistant serves as the liaison between the Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration and Board of Visitors’ members, offices of the President, Provost, Vice Presidents and College administrators, including other State agencies. The position provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Finance office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
Responsibilities include (but not limiting to):
- Oversees an Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities to include personnel/hiring forms/capital forms are processed and distributed to the appropriate person/office in a timely manner. Reviews invoices for payments. Partners with supervisors to ensure work is being completed and conflicts resolved.
- Represents the Senior Vice President by responding to and directing inquiries from State officials, College officials, alumni, parents, student and the public. Independently composes and sends out correspondence. Interprets office policies and procedures with authority to use discretion and act in the Senior Vice President’s absence.
- Prepares and analyzes data to respond to requests from members of the Board of Visitors, W&M Foundation, President, Provost, Vice Presidents and Deans or their representatives. Provides information for reports and records through research, data retrieval, compiling statistics, and organizing and presenting the information in useable and understandable formats.
- Manages Budget; prepares and monitors the office budget and expenditures, make recommendations, as necessary, to the Senior Vice President. Monitor cash flow associated with the operating expenses of the Foundation’s real estate interests in New Town.
- Provides sophisticated calendar management for the Sr VP and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and coordinates appointments and meetings. Arranges complex travel arrangements and becomes knowledgeable with specific, detailed needs of the Senior VP of Finance & Administration travel partners.
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience directly related to the position.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and office management practices with the ability to mentor and oversee the work of others.
- Thorough knowledge of successful office practices and protocols with the ability to support such office programs.
- Working knowledge of Budget principles, and fiscal administration with the ability to reconcile, forecast and manage budget.
- Strong administrative skills with the ability to provide sophisticated calendar management, and travel arrangements.
Demonstrated proficiency in proofreading and editing and drafting documents with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong planning skills, with the ability to track, anticipate, and prepare for upcoming deadlines, events and agenda items and handle adhoc projects as assigned.
- Strong business acumen, excellent oral and written communication skills, with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal & external constituencies, while exercising diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- A self-starter, with strong organizational skills with the proven ability to work with a high-level of independence, manage multiple and competing priorities with little direction. Strong problem solving and analytical skills, with the proven ability to exercise sound judgment in performing all responsibilities.
- High degree of computer proficiency in a variety of software applications to include MS Office (specifically, strong proficiency in Word and Excel, Outlook / Calendar management with advanced skills in Powerpoint). Familiarity with automated financial systems.
- Substantive Administrative support experience in support of a department head or program.
- Experience in planning or coordinating meetings and events and performing complex calendar management.
- Experience with Budget management and fiscal support administration (e.g., preparing and processing invoices, reimbursements, reconciliation).
- Office management experience in a complex office environment, with experience overseeing or reviewing the work of others.
- Knowledge of commonwealth of Virginia financial and administrative policies and procedures is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Banner (Finance) module or comparable finance module (e.g.,, Oracle), is desirable.
- Knowledge of Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing, executing and monitoring budgets is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working as an Executive Assistant in Higher Education is highly preferred.
- High-level board support experience is highly desirable.
- Experience with Banner or similar oracle based system is desirable.
- Supervisory experience is a plus.
- Experience with e-VA (Commonwealth of VA purchasing system).
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.