Provide professional advising to students in group or individual settings; responsible for vocational testing and assessment, program development and evaluation, and outreach activities.
Internship Advisor will work closely with the Academy staff and associates to develop and oversee the growth of career development opportunities and provide job coaching for students of the Academy for Inclusive Learning. The successful candidate will have prior experience with different intellectual/developmental abilities, and in providing support necessary for both successful employment and academic achievement. Also essential to this position is the ability to provide realistic assessments of opportunities for students and the steps necessary to realize the goals
- Assist with classes or group sessions as well as individual follow up with students and collaboration with Academy staff and other supporting organizations for resume writing, job applications, and requests for letters of recommendation, and other adult living skills
- In collaboration with the staff, coordinate with on and off campus staff in creating internship training sites
- Communicate with staff regarding concerns and skill development In collaboration with the staff, train mentors in skill development and data collection and to provide guidance to the students
- Effectively use forms and procedures for career training, data collection, and tracking skill development In collaboration with the Academy staff, assist with person centered planning and follow up to assure that the plan is being implemented
- Pursue agreements with area businesses off campus and potential employers
- In collaboration with the Academy staff and KSU resources, develop employment opportunities in the community for internships and employment by visiting and communicating with employers, with KSU career services, and with Chambers of Commerce and other private sector entities in order to match students to the sites where they will experience maximized success
- Coordinate with public transportation, GVRA, and other supporting agencies in order to implement transition from on-campus training to community internships and employment.
- Create and maintain case notes
- Assess, identify, document progress on student academic goals
- Assist in modification/creation of tests and assignments for career class
- Assist with research, collect and project career information to inform research projects regarding outcomes and best practices of postsecondary education for students with DD
- Provide data on current students and alumni for program evaluation and improvementIn collaboration with the Academy staff, provide training and support for internship sites for supervision, transportation, communication and on-site data based evaluation with student mentors
- Must have a valid Class C Driver's license, as you may need to drive the golf cart for various errands.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 2 years related experience.
-Masters Degree or higher
-One year or more experience working with special needs populations in education, social work, or a comparable field or one year or more experience with job training and/or coaching.
-One year of experience coordinating with businesses and/or corporations to establish internship situations for special needs populations, and designing data collection systems for tracking progress of intern.
-Will require some travel