PROVOST/CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER
Provost/Chief Academic Officer Sought for Expanding Urban Research University
Wichita State University (WSU) in Wichita, Kansas, is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Provost/Chief Academic Officer.
As the Chief Academic Officer, the Provost will report directly to the President and must possess the leadership strength and skills to work with deans and faculty in shaping a modern American university that is student centered and innovation driven. The Provost will lead the university’s efforts to become the model for meaningful applied learning across all disciplines and professions. The Provost will work closely with faculty and other members of the President’s Executive Team to find new mechanisms to reward faculty and staff who are willing to be innovative and entrepreneurial. Because of the increasing importance of private and corporate philanthropy in creating the margin of excellence, the Provost will work closely with the deans and the WSU Foundation to engage with potential donors and to increase stewardship. For current areas reporting to the Provost, please see http://wichita.edu/AA_orgchart
This position is an exceptional opportunity for an individual who has the knowledge and courage to reconsider the role of higher education in today’s society. Of particular importance:
• The university is one of the strongest applied research universities in the country, especially in aviation. The Kansas Board of Regents and the university itself look to see this capacity across other areas of the institution.
• The university desires to be a national leader in meeting the needs of working adults though implementing credit badges, certificates, micro-credentials including micro-masters, online and military education.
• The university is committed to serving both traditional students and the wide diversity of constituencies that require ongoing education and development.
• The university is committed to diversity of opportunity, access and success, and requires a Provost who can help lead in this area.
• The recent affiliation with WSU Tech is a unique opportunity to develop new hybrid programs, applied science degrees and other programs that address the changing structure of demand for tertiary education.
• The university is striving to become the center of an innovation district as defined by Brookings (https://www.brookings.edu/innovation-districts/), and the Provost needs to be an active partner in developing the capacities of the campus in this area.
Wichita State University is classified as a “higher research” university and it is one of three research universities in the Kansas system. Current enrollment is approximately 15,000 students and an annual budget from all sources is in excess of $320 million. Wichita is a highly livable metropolitan area in south-central Kansas, known for affordable housing, short commute times, and a wonderfully diverse population. WSU plays an increasingly important role in the region as a hub for education as well as economic and community development and prides itself on its commitment to serving as an active partner with the people of the region as they work to improve their communities and opportunities for the future.
Please go to http://wichita.edu/wsujobs for more details about the requirements for this position and the application process. Please address inquiries regarding the position to Werner M. Golling, Vice President for Finance and Administration, Co-Chair of the Search Committee, Wichita State University, 1845 Fairmount, KS 67260-0047, 316-978-3030.
For full consideration, applicants must submit 1) a letter of application describing abilities to meet required and preferred qualifications, 2) Curriculum Vitae, and 3) names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers for three individuals who can be contacted for professional references.
This position will remain open until filled. However, priority consideration will be given to those who complete the application process by March 23, 2018.
Wichita State University does not discriminate in its employment practices, educational programs or activities on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal
background check as required by Board of Regents policy.