Director of Communications
The American Sociological Association (ASA) invites applications for a Director of Communications to conceptualize, implement, and manage an integrated content development and dissemination strategy to reach audiences both internal and external to the discipline of sociology. At this critical time in American history characterized by racial and gender divisions, increasing economic inequality, and fractious politics, sociologists have an important role to play in helping communities make sense of and respond to this complicated terrain. ASA ensures that the work of sociologists reaches the public and relevant policymakers, both directly and through the media.
This position provides the opportunity to influence the current narrative about a wide range of issues in today’s news. ASA has a membership of almost 12,000 sociologists who are scholars, teachers, and practitioners. Its mission is to serve sociologists in their work, advance sociology as a discipline and profession, and promote the contributions and use of sociology to society. Among many other activities, ASA publishes 14 journals and offers a large annual meeting at which new research is presented. ASA’s office is located in Washington, D.C.
• Identify, translate, and disseminate sociological scholarship that is relevant to a variety of public audiences through an integrated content development strategy
• Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic communications including, but not limited to, press releases, newsletters, website, blog, and video
• Lead media relations, digital and social media activity, and some marketing efforts
• Foster a culture of public engagement among sociologists
• Liaise with the advocacy organizations with which ASA has partnerships to facilitate a government relations strategy
• Collaborate with relevant organizational committees and other volunteer leadership groups in the interest of supporting relevant activities
• Provide leadership and management for the communications department
• Serve as a member of the association’s senior leadership team and manage additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
The Director of Communications reports to the Executive Director and has supervisory responsibility for the Multimedia Producer and the Senior Communications Associate.
Job Classification: Exempt
Preferred Qualifications: It is important to note that these qualifications are preferred. We recognize that there are several professional profiles that could be well suited to this position. Should your profile vary in some ways from the qualifications listed and you think you can be successful in this endeavor, please do not hesitate to apply.
• Requires a bachelor’s degree; M.A. or Ph.D. in social science discipline welcome
• At least ten years of relevant professional experience or equivalent • Demonstrated ability to effectively translate scholarly material into content that is engaging to non-academics
• Experience in institutions of higher education, foundations, or other nonprofit organizations focused on research
• Understanding of and appreciation for social science
• Familiarity with current policy issues in higher education
• Experience working with new media
• Relevant journalistic and/or media relations experience
• Government relations experience
• Experience with website management
• Exemplary writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
• Project management experience; a good ability to choose among alternatives and identify key priorities for work; ability to successfully manage multiple projects at once
• Strong work ethic; ability to respond quickly to media and other time-sensitive requests • Maturity and organizational savvy; ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams; excellent interpersonal skills; managerial experience
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is provided to all ASA staff members. To apply: Please submit a substantive cover letter and a resume to Nancy Kidd, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until someone has been hired. ASA is an equal opportunity employer.