Assistant Professor of Library Services, Director of Metadata Services
Christopher Center Library Services is pleased to announce an open position for the Director of Metadata Services. As a member of the Valparaiso University faculty, this librarian should be interested in working at a university engaged in issues in Christian higher education in the Lutheran tradition. S/he will also demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Reporting to the Dean of Library Services, the Director will lead the Metadata Services department in providing access to materials in a changing mix of user-oriented environments for University students, faculty, and staff. S/he will provide leadership and direction for one tenured librarian, full- and part-time classified staff, and departmental student assistants. S/he will be responsible for managing the department’s day-to-day operations as well other departmental duties, such as cataloging processes, metadata for digital resources, and policy development. The Director will promote and foster collaborative relationships when partnering with other library and campus departments. Serving as the primary liaison to OCLC and Innovative Interfaces, Inc. (III), s/he will provide leadership for others in the library when planning for integrated library system changes and improvements.
As a member of the library’s Senior Administration team, the Director will work with the Dean and others to evaluate library programs and resources, to analyze stakeholder feedback, and to develop and execute plans for ensuring service quality. S/he will collaborate with others in specific instances when indicated by projects and service changes, such as with
- the Electronic Services Librarian (who manages the catalog’s public interface, digital and electronic collections, and the library’s web presence),
- the Special Collections and Archives Librarian and staff, and
- the Associate Dean (who coordinates the development and management of the library’s overall collection).
As requested, the Director will assist with accreditation and evaluation review reports and with providing statistical support for consortial and government agency reports.
As a member of the library faculty, the Director will be active in scholarly/creative work and participate in professional service and development opportunities. S/he will teach in the library’s information literacy program and engage in collection development and subject liaison outreach with selected academic departments.
Appointment is at the rank of Assistant Professor and consideration of credit toward tenure as appropriate.
A candidate will provide evidence of
- an ALA-accredited Master’s Degree, or equivalent, at the time of appointment;
- a minimum of 1-2 years successfully managing and supervising a technical services unit;
- a minimum of 2 years demonstrated knowledge and experience in academic library cataloging;
- experience with Innovative Interfaces Inc. (III) (or like) system administration;
- knowledge of best practices and trends (such as BIBFRAME) in all areas related to technical services, cataloging, and library systems;
- knowledge of and experience with MARC, RDA, AACR2, and other various metadata standards;
- continued engagement in scholarly activity and professional service in library or related organizations;
- a commitment to information literacy and student success;
- creativity in problem solving and project management;
- excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; and
- the capability to work both independently and collaboratively in the team environment.
A candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
Status, Salary, and Benefits
This is a full-time, tenure-track faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor rank with yearly 12 month contracts. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position offers immediate eligibility for the full benefits package (TIAA/CREF retirement; life insurance; medical, dental, and vision care benefits). This position also receives 20 vacation days in addition to University holidays and other fringe benefits and special discounts.
With an expected start date of July 1, 2018, review of applications will begin immediately. Those received before noon, March 5, 2018, will receive full consideration. Review will continue until the suitable candidate is identified for the position.
All application materials must be submitted electronically via the Interfolio system at http://apply.interfolio.com/48186:
- A letter of application,
- a current resume or CV, and
- contact information for three professional references.
Valparaiso University, a community of learning dedicated to excellence and grounded in the Lutheran tradition of scholarship, freedom, and faith, prepares students to lead and serve in both church and society. Located one hour southeast of Chicago on a 310-acre campus, Valpo is a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate university with enrollment of over 4,000 students in its Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Business, Nursing & Health Professions, Engineering, and Christ College (Honors College); the Graduate School and Continuing Education; and the Law School.
The award-winning Christopher Center for Library and Information Services provides active learning environments in which students, faculty, and staff use innovative tools and resources to create and access information intelligently, efficiently, and with integrity.
Valparaiso University does not unlawfully discriminate and aims to employ persons of various backgrounds and experiences to develop and support a diverse community. Its entire EOE policy can be found at https://www.valpo.edu/general-counsel/policies/equal-opportunity-policy/.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. In addition to strong academic qualifications and excellence in teaching, the University highly values experience in working across cultural and other significant differences.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.