DENTISTRY AND ORAL SURG NURSE MANAGER
Duties: * Client communication/education - Review the preoperative and postoperative considerations with clients
* Scheduling - Triage cases and prioritize those that are time-sensitive
* Nursing duties - This includes preoperative test requests and sample collection, fluid administration, catheter placement, postoperative care, anesthetizing patients when needed (cross-trained in anesthesia)
* Clinical dental and oral surgical procedures - Technicians/hygienists perform the initial portion of the anesthetized patient's diagnosis and treatment, including oral examination, dental/periodontal charting, taking and processing intraoral radiographs, administering nerve blocks, dental scaling, root planing, gingival curettage, polishing of teeth, taking impressions and bite registrations, and making stone models.
* Dental/oral surgical assisting-The technician/hygienist is supportive of the ongoing clinical procedures in the surgical operatory, such as setting up the room/tables for the specific procedures of the day and then break-down/cleaning of the instruments and equipment. During the patient's anesthetized procedure, the technician/hygienist provides instruments and supplies for specific types of dental procedures (e.g., root canal therapy, impressions for orthodontics, etc.) and various oral surgeries (e.g., mandibulectomies/maxillectomies, palate repairs, etc.)
* Clinical research assisting - DOS research projects may be clinically driven or retrospective, and thus our patients are our research subjects. This inherent overlap necessitates that our technicians/hygienists perform clinical details of research projects, such as collecting samples from anesthetized patients, obtaining measurements of periodontal attachment loss, gingival inflammation, plaque/calculus accumulation, processing of blood, urine, cultures, etc.
* Equipment maintenance - Routine and emergency repair of dental equipment, instrument sharpening, ordering and maintaining inventory of all dental and oral surgical equipment, materials and supplies necessary to keep the service functioning; this includes
maintaining contact with representatives of dental product companies and keeping the staff abreast of new products and techniques.
* Administrative duties - Copying and filing dental records and student handouts, preparation of daily clinical schedules, room reservations for rounds, lectures and meetings.
* Inventory - The clinical treatments of DOS patients could not occur without the use of a multitude of different dental material products and equipment. The technician/hygienist must see that the proper materials are available for procedures and in ample quantity.
* Teaching - Technicians/hygienists are imperative in clinical teaching of our students and residents, helping in rounds and wet labs for fourth-year students who rotate through the two-week clinical rotation in DOS. Technicians/hygienists also give didactic lectures and wet labs for students in other years as well as are engaged in continuing education (CE) provided to practicing veterinarians and technicians through seminars and courses. All of these activities may involve scheduling, ordering cadavers and supplies for labs, teaching, set-up and clean-up, and communicating with potential CE sponsors
* Supervisory Responsibilities:
* Participate in the selection and career development of staff
* Mentor staff wishing to become specialty-certified
* Delegate job responsibilities to staff as they develop
* Recognize and reward individuals for a job well done
* Address performance issues immediately and directly
* Conduct performance appraisals annually
* Submit payroll/timesheets weekly
* Ensure staff is properly trained to perform all job duties
Qualifications: An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
* Active Certified Veterinary Technician and Registered Dental Hygienist
* Experience in veterinary medicine and dental hygiene
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Passion for teaching and lecturing
* Thrive under a fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding work environment
* Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
* Excellent organizational skills
* Previous management experience preferred
Reference Number: 58-27930
Salary Grade: 026
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Ryan Veterinary Hospital
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: 4-Technical Health Services