Antelope Valley College
Salary: Range 13, $3,496.20/mo. + benefits
Deadline: February 14, 2018
Under the direction of the Director of First Year Experience, serve as a liaison to high school district, campus and community organizations and general public on matters related to recruitment and outreach; participate in campus and community events and activities, assist in setting priorities for marketing, solicitation and showcasing college programs and services.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: E= indicates essential elements of the position
• Develop, plan and organize a variety of student and community- related programs, events and activities, city and
organizational fairs, festivals, campus activities and meetings (E)
• Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to promote attendance at Antelope Valley College and higher
education institutions (E)
• Assist in developing and implementing strategies to promote recruitment and retention at AVC including but not limited to high
school orientations and welcome week activities (E)
• Coordinate the dissemination of college program and service information and the financial aid process to a variety of
populations via presentations, direct mail campaigns, telephone campaigns, etc. (E)
• Serve as a liaison between prospective students, current students and college departments (E)
• Serve as a liaison to community groups, organizations, other higher education institutions, the high schools, middle schools
and/or elementary schools (E)
• Plan and conduct student, campus and community events (E)
• Attend and participate in community, city and organizational fairs, festivals and meetings and committees
• Assist in the maintenance of a database of prospective students and community contacts, provide follow up activities, prepare
handbooks, public relations materials and policies to assist and aid in enrollment related activities
• Assist in office record keeping and filing activities, assemble data and prepare reports, maintain a variety of equipment and
• Recruit, train and provide work direction student ambassador corps including but not limited to initial and on-going training,
meetings, office duties, and off-site staffing of events
• Maintain correct knowledge of computer and related techniques that affect recruitment and retention and enrollment
• Some travel required
• Perform other duties as assigned
Annual Security Report is provided by Antelope Valley College for prospective students and employees. A copy of this report is available at http://www.avc.edu/administration/police/
• Methods and techniques in working with prospective students
• Methods and techniques in working with college students and groups
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
• Statistical record-keeping techniques
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
• Principles of training and providing work direction
• Concepts of recruitment, marketing and public relations
• Proper lifting techniques
• Learn applicable section of State education code and other applicable laws
• Learn and apply district operations, policies, and objectives
• Learn and apply the philosophy, objectives, and policies of student services
• Work a flexible schedule involving evening, weekend and holiday hours
• Learn, understand and explain college preparatory curriculum for high school students, college curriculum and regulations
• Learn, understand and explain Financial Aid application and general processes
• Lift, move and break down equipment, displays, furniture and totes used for various events and presentations
• Maintain accurate records
• Work independently with little supervision
• Meet schedules and deadlines
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
• Direct a team of student workers
• Communicate effectively in all methods of communications with diverse populations
• Travel within the service area of the college
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and training or at least two years of work experience with high school and college students and/or target groups in marketing, public relations and information campaigns; experience giving oral presentations.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Valid Driver’s License and current auto insurance as required by state law
• Work a variable schedule to accommodate evening, weekend and holiday hours
• Indoor and outdoor work environment
• May be in excess heat or cold weather
• Evening, weekend and holiday hours
• Driving a vehicle to conduct work as required by position
• Walking to review activity program and sites
• Standing to disseminate information
• Lifting heavy objects up to 50+ pounds
• Pulling/Pushing heavy objects on dollies or carts
To be considered an applicant for a classified position in the Antelope Valley Community College District, all of the following documents must be submitted no later than 6:00pm Mon-Thurs and 11:30am on Fridays of the deadline date.
If any of the listed materials are missing or incomplete, the application will not be considered.
1. A completed and signed Antelope Valley College Classified Application.
2. Cover letter (addressing your interest and qualifications)
4. In addition to a High School Diploma/GED or equivalent, copies of all certificates, etc. that supports and substantiates the requirements of training must be submitted.
The application must be filled out completely and signed. Do not indicate “See Résumé” on any part of the application. Blank spaces, illegible entries or failure to sign the application may be cause for rejection. The District will not return application materials submitted.
Application forms are available on the AVC web site www.avc.edu or from the Human Resources Office and must be returned to:
Office of Human Resources
3041 West Avenue K
Lancaster CA 93536
Office hours: Monday-Thursday (7:30 am – 6:00 pm) Friday: (7:30 am – 11:30 am)
Faxed or emailed materials cannot be accepted.
Unsolicited materials will not be included. Postmarks will not be accepted.
A selection committee will screen applications of candidates meeting minimum requirements. Meeting minimum requirements does not assure the applicant of an interview. Selection for an interview will be based on your training and experience as outlined in your application. Applicants selected for interviews will be notified by phone. Applicants should not expect notification of the status of their candidacy until the Board of Trustees has acted upon the district’s recommendation for employment.
Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization pursuant to INS regulations.
Antelope Valley College offers an extensive benefit package that includes full-family medical, dental, and vision plans and employee life insurance and income protection policies and eligibility to enroll in the Public Employees' Retirement System.
The policy of the District is to encourage applications AfroVmCethisnicaanderqacuiaal ml inorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status as a Vietnam-era veteran, ancestry, or political or organizational affiliation.
Upon request, we will consider reasonable accommodations to permit individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment or admission process, (b) perform essential job functions, (c) enjoy benefits and privileges of similarly – situated individuals without disabilities, and (d) participate in instruction, programs, services, activities, or events.
AVC is an equal opportunity employer.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at www.avc.edu or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.