Assistant Vice President for Marketing & Communications
Kutztown University is seeking applications for a full-time assistant vice president for Marketing and Communications. Primary responsibility is to lead marketing initiatives to raise visibility, increase enrollments, enhance image and generate revenue for the University. Direct all marketing planning for the University, its schools and programs, including undergraduate and graduate student recruitment. Strategically and enthusiastically grow the Kutztown University story with its audience and prospective students through all department and related resources.
Serves as a key member of the division's senior leadership team reporting to the vice president for Communications, Marketing and External Affairs. Also serves as a member of the President's Extended Cabinet, and fills in as manager of the division in the vice president's absence.
Supervises three direct reports, eight managers, three graduate assistants, student workers and interns including the assistant director of Marketing for Design and Publications, director of Communications (supervises campus photographer and director of Video Services), and director of Web, Digital and Social Media (supervises Web Technology manager, Campus Radio manager, Sports Information director and Assistant Sports Information director).
Specific responsibilities include:
- Increase student enrollment through marketing, branding and communication strategies. Work closely with the vice president for Enrollment and Student Affairs to ensure enrollment goals are achieved.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admissions on all recruitment strategies.
- Conceptualize, produce, manage, and direct brand imaging and integrated communications in collaboration with the marketing and institutional departments to target audiences including current and prospective students and their families, faculty and staff, alumni, emeriti, donors, legislators and the community.
- Continuously create new, impactful content geared toward the needs and goals of the opportunities and audiences.
- Direct activities related to the marketing of credit and non-credit academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels for the recruitment and retention of students.
- Manage, measure and strategically improve the division's marketing and communications efforts via a data/metric-driven approach.
- Provide marketing support and direction to non-academic programs, including, but not limited to, Intercollegiate Athletics, Administration and Finance, Student Affairs and the KU Foundation.
- Responsible for the direction and management of marketing budget, as well as project management.
- Create and implement integrated marketing campaigns through the use of print, electronic, outdoor, online, Web, social media and other forms of advertising.
- Design and execute direct mail, email, and CRM-generated marketing campaigns.
- Direct the work of marketing-related agencies, freelance writers, and freelance designers to plan and execute marketing, recruitment and advertising campaigns.
- Manage the university licensing program, ensuring consistency both on and off campus. Ensure timely approval of the use of university-approved trademarks. Help to maintain and grow the availability of university-licensed products. Work closely with the university licensing agency to ensure growth, consistency and enforcement of Kutztown University's licensing efforts.
- Write advertising copy, video scripts and other promotional materials.
- Direct the creative development of publications (print or online), videography and photography.
- Develop themes and creative concepts for brochures, invitations, websites, special projects and events.
- Assist with the planning of marketing activities and promotions for events for the Office of Admissions, deans and university directors.
- Research, strategize, evaluate and recommend marketing opportunities to university departments.
- Lead the university brand, focusing on consistency of look, voice and message. Coordinate and participate in brand training.
- Responsible for the development and management of university style guides and project requests processes for marketing and communications.
- Manage and participate in office-liaison assignments with the four undergraduate colleges and graduate college.
- Lead for Brand Champions group of students, faculty and staff focused on protecting and enhancing the university brand.
- Serve as the executive editor of the Tower, the university magazine.
- Oversee communications initiatives, including annual media relations plan.
- Oversee ongoing enhancements to the university website and growth of social media.
- Establish and monitor annual goals for Marketing & Communications staff in alignment with division and university mission, vision and goals.
- Monitor budgets and approve expenditures for Marketing & Communications staff.
- Conduct regular Marketing & Communications staff meetings and One-on-One meetings with direct reports. Attend Division Director Meetings, Extended Cabinet and Council of Trustees public meetings.
- Coordinate communication and fulfillment of communication and marketing project requests with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Assists the vice president and communications staff with crisis, emergency and executive communications as necessary. Serves as a member of the on-call crisis team.
- Assist the vice president with community and government relations initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by the vice president for Communications, Marketing & External Affairs.
- A bachelor's degree in marketing and/or communications, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively-responsible experience in areas of marketing, communications and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated success in marketing and branding, developing and implementing a marketing/branding campaign, including proof of data-driven results.
- Knowledge of media and public relations, and communications.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- A master's degree in a related field.
- Advanced marketing experience in higher education.
- Extensive experience designing and producing publications (including magazines), interactive web and digital media.
- Exceptional leadership qualities including strong personnel and budget management and planning skills; a strong work ethic, including the ability to balance hands-on assignments and responsibilities, while simultaneously managing a professional staff; solid analytical, problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Experience working with diversity, both internally and externally.
- Willingness to work occasional odd hours, --- including nights and weekends --- and periodic on-call responsibility for emergency communications, in addition to being present during university business hours.
Candidates should provide curriculum vitae, a letter of application to Dr. Andrea Kirshman, Search Committee Chair, that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described above, and contact information of five references, one of whom must be a current supervisor. These documents must be uploaded with the online application. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge of candidates. Review of applications will begin February 26, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
All applications for this position must be submitted via our online application/resume system ONLY. Please do not fax, mail, or e-mail any documentation.
Successful interview, reference checks, background clearances (PA Criminal, Child Abuse Clearance & FBI Clearance), and demonstration of ability are requisite qualifications for all positions. The University is very interested in hiring employees who have had extensive experience with diverse populations.
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and actively solicits applications from women and minority candidates. Kutztown University of Pennsylvania is a member of the State System of Higher Education.