General Manager, Dining Services
About Pomona College Located in Claremont, CA - just 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, Pomona College is one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges.
Founded in 1887, the campus offers students an environment for intellectual development and personal growth that is second to none. As the founding member of The Claremont Colleges, a unique consortium of seven independent institutions on adjoining campuses, Pomona offers their 1600 students the personal experience of a small, academically superb liberal arts college and the breadth of resources normally associated with major universities. On-campus housing is guaranteed, and few students choose to live anywhere else. The extraordinary ethnic and social diversity of its student body gives Pomona a broader mix of backgrounds than just about any comparable educational institution.
The Position As a key member of the Pomona College Team, the General Manager, Dining Services assumes a strategic role in the overall planning and management of the College’s self-operated dining service program. The General Manager provides Pomona College with expertise in dining and hospitality management, procurement, sustainability, nutrition initiatives, culinary trends, and program development. The General Manager has oversight of an annual operating budget of $7.5 million and an operation with over 95 unionized full-time employees serving 3,000 meals daily. This position is responsible for monitoring financial & budgetary transactions to ensure efficient operation and expenditures within budget limitations. This position develops marketing strategies, implements advertising and promotional campaigns, special events, catering, and establishes customer service satisfaction standards. This position interacts with students, faculty, staff, College offices as well as external customers or clients. The General Manager guides the College in the development of hospitality initiatives, including new construction and tactical changes in the delivery of existing services. The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality or Restaurant Management, and a minimum of five to seven years managing 30 or more staff across multiple locations. We are seeking candidates with the propensity to lead, innovate and identify trends. Strong management experience and communication skills, as well as knowledge of finance, accounting and budgeting are essential. Bilingual in English and Spanish highly preferred.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Director Facilities and Campus Services Operations, the General Manager, Dining Services works independently and collaboratively to perform a number of duties, including, but not limited to:
• Provide tactical management and oversight of professional service, culinary and support team providing food services in a diverse set of venues encompassing board plan operations, retail food operations and catering while ensuring full compliance with all food and occupational safety regulations.
• Provide clear direction and supervision of 95 staff members in a bargaining unit environment.
• Oversee hiring and development of industry service and culinary leaders to create a team of highly-skilled professionals.
• Interview, hire, and train staff including supervisory, support, administrative and unit staff.
• Promote customer relationship-building and outreach; focus on customer services initiatives and building strong teams by developing talent from within.
• Plan, develop and implement a comprehensive meal program for dining operations to ensure student and customer and quality satisfaction.
• Create marketing strategies to enhance business revenue and customer satisfaction; • Oversee inventories of equipment, supplies, food and beverages.
• Actively engage in a broad range of academic and operational programs, such as sustainability and procurement, to advance the overall success of the institution through creative, real-world solutions to complex, inter-departmental initiatives.
• Lead College's initiative to increase purchase of local foods within budgetary limits.
• Control revenues and expenses to ensure meeting financial goals; Manage annual operational budget to ensure efficient operations and quality standards are established and are within budgetary limitations.
• Audit payroll, invoices, inventory, labor and other like reports.
• Ensure accurate financial reporting. Required Experience and Essential Skills
• Ability to provide excellent leadership skills that promote a positive work environment and teamwork with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately, verbally and in writing, with individuals of extremely diverse backgrounds and large groups. Bilingual in English and Spanish highly preferred. Occasional public presentations required. Ability to listen and consider views of others. Ability to facilitate group meetings.
• Ability to coordinate and facilitate training programs for staff development. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop positive working relationships and work collaboratively with others.
• Solid experience in foodservice production, quality control of special diets and all food allergies specific to peanut/nut, shellfish, and other dietary restrictions.
• Have practical working knowledge of industry standards to provide healthy meals and eating environments at the College.
• Proficiency and experience with computerized culinary and menu management software; Experience with high volume, dynamic and complex menu cycle that meets a variety of customer tastes; Familiarity with a computerized menu and ordering system preferred.
• Provide superior customer service and adapt to the desires of a diverse Pomona College community.
• Experience in financial analysis, and management of large capital accounting, budget management, and financial systems/applications.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or Restaurant Management, Business or related field required.
• Licenses/Certificates: Must take and successfully pass California ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification within 30 days of hire and successfully recertify every five years. A valid driver’s license is essential to drive College-owned vehicles.
• Experience: A minimum of five -seven years of foodservice production, or relevant management in other large and multi-unit dynamic restaurant environment required.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience, as well as an excellent benefits package. To Apply Please send your cover letter and resume as a single MS Word formatted attachment to Eileen Rauchberg at [email protected] and include “Pomona GMDS” and your name in the subject line of your email