Posting Number: R0000516
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Position Summary:The Systems Administrator implements and maintains server-based enterprise applications and services, including technologies supporting the centralized management and deployment of desktop computers and applications, and provides network and systems support for other WITS staff and the university at large. The Systems Administrator will share the responsibility for the successful operation of the systems and network devices which provide web, course management, file, print, e-mail, media, and other enterprise and infrastructure services in an environment of over 2000 users. Works alone and as a team-member on a wide variety of projects that have a distinct impact on the university. Provides some end-user support and troubleshooting for service related problems. Involves some contact with students, faculty, and staff as well as with individuals and organizations outside of the university.
The duties and responsibilities of the Systems Administrator include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
1. Assumes primary responsibility for servers and applications supporting the centralized management of desktop and application deployment, Active Directory integration and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
2. Packages desktop applications for centralized deployment.
3. Designs, implements, documents, and maintains servers, services, and dependent infrastructure.
4. Designs, documents, implements, and maintains processes, scripts, or programs for systems and network management using available application programming interfaces (APIs) and tools.
5. Serves as a resource for identifying and solving computer related hardware and software problems.
6. Serves as a member of the WITS Network Services group which oversees and performs functions pertinent to the implementation of hardware, software and network services on campus. These include but are not limited to:
- managing the operation, activities and services of the campus computing networks;
- supporting network software, including some application development and maintenance;
- maintaining and monitoring the connectivity to off-campus networks, including the Internet;
- performing system administration of networked servers and appliances;
- maintaining security of the campus computer network;
- researching and recommending software and hardware solutions for stated needs;
- performing service calls for network related problems on campus;
- writing applications using various scripts, macros, and programming languages.
- Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- A minimum of two years' work experience as a system administrator supporting Linux and Windows systems in a complex heterogeneous networked environment, including resource and account management, software installation and configuration, security configuration, and service upgrades and migrations.
Demonstrated knowledge of computer deployment technologies, including Microsoft System Center.
Familiarity packaging desktop applications for centralized deployment.
Demonstrated knowledge of Linux and Windows servers and architecture and fundamental computer networking concepts and protocols.
Demonstrated ability to perform root-cause analysis of issues with systems and applications on Linux and Windows platforms.
Familiarity with one or more scripting languages, for example: perl, python, ruby, bash, .Net, VBS, PowerShell.
Familiarity configuring servers using configuration management software such as puppet, chef, ansible, DSC.
Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory administration including Group Policy.
Familiarity with software revision control software such as git, svn, cvs.
Ability to write clear technical documentation.
Strong service orientation.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to establish and maintain cooperative and harmonious working relationships with a variety of campus constituencies.
A proven ability to make technical issues understandable, and an ability to match technical opportunities to university goals.
Incumbent may be required to travel locally and nationally in the performance of job functions and is required to carry a cellular telephone and be available for emergency support and after-hours scheduled maintenance.
Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
- A bachelor's degree.
- Experience managing network devices (routers, switches, wireless access points).
- Familiarity with a web programming framework (ex. Rails, Django).
- Experience in VMware vSphere, Veeam, PowerShell, Perl, SQL, Cisco IOS, iSCSI SAN, enterprise storage arrays and relevant experience beyond the minimum requirement.
Work environment: Office environment, typically M-F, 8am to 5pm, flexibility is required depending on needs of the department. Incumbent may be required to travel locally and nationally in the performance of job functions and is required to carry a cellular telephone and be available for emergency support and after-hours scheduled maintenance.
This is a full-time exempt position. This position is eligible for the University's generous benefits package
Pay is commensurate with experience, background, and education.
As part of your online application, you will need to submit the following documents in the "My Experience" and Resume/CV subsection, please note you will not be prompted to upload documents:
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Systems-Administrator_R0000516
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.