Business Planning and Budget Analyst
As a member of the Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA) organization and reporting to the Associate Budget Director, the Business Planning and Budget Analyst is responsible for supporting the University's administrative business planning and budgeting processes. This position works as an integral member of the finance team to provide budget management and business services support to the campus community while ensuring compliance with all internal and external rules and regulations. Responsibilities include supporting both the University's strategic planning efforts (IFM, Business Plans, Analysis / analytics, PM small scope efforts) as well as the tactical efforts of the team (monthly reporting, campus inquiries, journal entries, user training).
This integrated Planning and Budget analyst role will develop and maintain excellent working relationships with various departments and support the Office's mission of providing guidance to the Campus community about financial and administrative matters to ensure the overall needs of the University are met. A close working relationship with Human Resources for salary and benefits budget matters including position control, data development, analytics, and maintenance will be a primary area of focus.
• Enable and provide support to budget managers in the budget process, revenue and expense projections, reporting needs, and other specialized financial / business analyses.
• Serve as campus liaison for budget training and budget questions. Includes but is not limited to, assisting academic and staff personnel in understanding financial reports and data, in controlling their costs and budgets, and in fulfilling budgetary requirements.
• Support University forecasting efforts for both operating and capital budgets.
• Compile and prepare analysis of programs, departments, and divisions budget trends.
• Assist in the maintenance and enhancement of forecast models for revenue and expenses.
• Coordinate position control and compensation budget in partnership with Human Resources.
• Assist in the implementation of Workday Planning and other budget planning tools.
• Review, edit and support the posting of budget adjustment requests.
• Monitor general ledger journal postings, verify sufficient departmental budget exists, and resolves issues.
• Assist in formulating budget policies, controls, and workflow processes.
• Assess program trade-offs and explores alternative funding methods for budgeted items.
• Support the VPFA office in the development of long term budget planning and financial forecasting.
• Participate in the development of business plans and project models for current or proposed University initiatives.
• Support various Board of Trustee data requests, report preparation and other stakeholder communications.
• Support the analysis and assessment of resource allocation and process improvement opportunities.
• Partner with staff to to identify opportunities to enhance financial and business effectiveness.
• Serve as an administrative liaison and resource to the Campus community in planning, implementing and monitoring initiatives and projects for the University.
• Work with key stakeholders to develop metrics and processes ensuring anticipated outcomes are achieved and financial measures are in place.
Actively support a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Support the Finance Office in other areas as appropriate and other duties as assigned.
• A Bachelor's degree
• Two years of financial and/or budgetary experience
• Proficiency with desktop computer software applications similar to COGNOS / Hyperion, MS Office (Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, Access) and long-term planning models (Whitebirch).
• Prior support of the budgeting, forecasting, and analysis processes including the documentation and presentation preparation related to their outcomes.
• Prior experience supporting projects (self managing) impacting a variety of constituents
• A results driven focus with proven problem-solving skills, an ability to troubleshoot situations and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of constituents in both written and oral forms.
• Appreciation for and understanding of a mission oriented University including a focus on service and ability to work within a collaborative team environment with cross-functional teams.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or Business Administration.
• Experience working in a non-profit or higher education environment.
• Experience with Workday or other SaaS platforms.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.