The University of Alaska Anchorage invites applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor. The position reports to the President of the University of Alaska System.
The University of Alaska Anchorage (“UAA”) is a multi-campus university that serves over 25,000 students each year and has a service area as expansive as the state of Montana. UAA is the largest university in the state and one of three universities in the University of Alaska System. UAA has four community campuses that include Kenai Peninsula College and its Kachemak Bay campus, Kodiak College, Matanuska-Susitna College, and Prince William Sound College. The mission of UAA is to discover and disseminate knowledge through teaching, research, engagement, and creative expression. UAA is committed to serving the higher education needs of the state, its communities, and its diverse peoples. UAA is an open-access university with academic programs leading to occupational endorsements; undergraduate and graduate certificates; and associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degrees in a rich, diverse, and inclusive environment.
UAA has 630 regular faculty and 592 adjunct faculty serving eight academic units: the College of Arts and Sciences; the College of Business and Public Policy; the College of Education; the College of Engineering; the College of Health; the Community and Technical College; the Honors College; and the Graduate School. UAA is devoted to undergraduate research through inquiry, discovery and creativity across all disciplines and within a global community of scholars. By fostering inspired teaching and engaged student learning, UAA advances the involvement of students in research and creative activities. The UAA campus has an award-winning library that serves both UAA and the neighboring private Alaska Pacific University. Fiscal year 2017 revenues were approximately $293 million, with state appropriations accounting for 40%, tuition and fees 26%, a combination of auxiliaries, gifts and other sources 18%, and restricted grants and contracts 16%.
UAA is accredited by the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) and many of UAA’s colleges and academic programs are externally accredited by national organizations that set the educational standards for the profession. In addition, UAA has received the Community Engagement classification by the Carnegie Foundation. This classification recognizes UAA for its community engagement, curricular engagement, as well as outreach and partnership practices. UAA has also been designated a “Military Friendly School” and as the “Health Campus” for the University of Alaska System.
UAA recently implemented a Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan. Alaska has a rich multi-cultural base and the University’s student body reflects this. The plan will strive to emphasize social inclusion and equity through purposeful involvement and engagement of the full range of campus and community stakeholders. These efforts are designed to contribute to and enhance the rich, diverse and inclusive environment where all are welcome and encouraged to thrive.
The Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of UAA and is responsible for all aspects of UAA administration. The Chancellor works with all university, state, community, and private constituents to develop support for the institution.
• Senior level leadership and administrative experience within an academic environment or complex institution;
• An earned degree from an accredited institution;
• Demonstrated commitment to creating and supporting a student-centered learning environment;
• Experience and ability to work effectively with internal constituencies, including but not limited to, students, faculty, staff, and administrators;
• Record of successful relationship building with external constituents, including business and community leaders, legislators, state agencies, political groups, system-wide officials, community colleges, research institutions, and funding agencies;
• Demonstrated financial acumen coupled with highly-developed management and team-building skills. Experience solving challenging financial issues, e.g., reducing cost with minimal reduction of services;
• Demonstrated experience developing and expanding new revenue streams across a broad spectrum of sources including private fundraising, grants and contracts, technology transfer, and partnerships with industry and governmental entities;
• Demonstrated commitment to shared governance and faculty development;
• Experience exercising broad delegated authority;
• A terminal degree from an accredited institution;
• Effective writing and public communication skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion across the institution.
UAA encourages applications from candidates who have a strong record of scholarship and teaching with successful executive level administrative experience in higher education. UAA also encourages applications from exceptional candidates with nontraditional backgrounds who have demonstrated significant successes in business, industry, nonprofit or government that are relevant in the higher education setting.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current curriculum vitae, a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position, and a list of three professional references. Submission of materials via e-mail is strongly encouraged. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner or
Emy Peña, Partner
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “UAA-Chancellor” in subject line
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
Apply for Chancellor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly